Corsair Community

XMS-2700LL problems with nVidia based boards?

Mogadishu

System 1 Abit NF7 v2.0 AMD 2400+ Corsair CMX-2700LLPT; XMS2705v2.2 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM all purchased new since Nov 2003. problems: board had difficulty posting; sudden reboots/BSOD, serious error messages in Windows XP. System 2 DFI Lanparty NF II Ultra B AMD 2400 + new stick Corsair CMX-2700LLPT; XMS2705v2.2 new 160GB Maxtor 7200 RPM; clean copy of Win XP installed new PSU Thermaltake 480W with PFC new Chieftec Matrix case except for the CPU, parts purchased in the last four weeks. problems: sudden reboots that lead to BSOD, recovery from serious error messages in WXP at subsequent reboot. The stop codes are related to memory paging problems or incompatable/faulty memory modules. The exact stop codes are PAGE DEFAULT IN NONPAGED AREA and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. To eliminate potential problems that could explain the symptoms I had with my NF7, I purchased new XMS RAM, PSU, case, HDD, and mobo and began a new setup. To my dismay, the DFI board exhibited nearly the same problems with different hardware components. This is a coincidence that's too strong for it not to be related to either faulty RAM or compatability issues with the mainboards. I might add that installing the XMS in slots one and two to activate dual channel DDR makes it difficult for the board to initialize the DRAM frequency. Right now I'm using my NF II with PC2100 CAS2.5 Micron, the value memory I originally intended for the XMS to replace. Since the board is stable now, I wonder if the problem is related to the SPD setup programmed on the XMS RAM? This would be a disappointment, because one of the critucal factors which led me to Corsair was the fact that low latency is more important to performance in nVidia based boards than bus frequency. On the other hand, I don't want to believe that I purchased two bad sticks of expensive RAM from two separate authorized Corsair channel partners. Any insight you can shed is very much appreciated. I don't want to RMA the memory if there's something else less drastic that can be done to remedy the situation.

[quote name='Mogadishu']On the other hand, I don't want to believe that I purchased two bad sticks of expensive RAM from two separate authorized Corsair channel partners.[/QUOTE] I don't know if it matters, but the memory modules are both 512MB sticks. The numbers on the RAM are 0402136/2325 & 0403123/2225

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with the dim voltage set to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-5 with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure you do not have a weak module. But that is strange. Since you have 2 systems I would if you find errors test the failing module on the other system to verify it!

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with the dim voltage set to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-5[/QUOTE] I don't know how the values you gave correspond to the memory settings in BIOS. I have: T(RAS) T(RCD-Write) T(RCD-Read) T(RP) CAS Can you indicate which numbers go where according to the above format? BTW, Memtest ran for 20 hours without finding one error. Was that enough time for it to thoroughly test the RAM? Thanks, Mog.

[quote name='Mogadishu']I don't know how the values you gave correspond to the memory settings in BIOS. I have: T(RAS) T(RCD-Write) T(RCD-Read) T(RP) CAS Can you indicate which numbers go with each data type according to the above format?[/QUOTE] I believe I tried 5-2-2-3-2 in descending order. No dice. I don't feel much like bothering with that system tonight so I'll double-check tomorrow. Also, I swapped out the 2400+ with a *new* 2800+ Athlon CPU with same results. That makes two completely independent platforms on which the memory has contributed to system instability. I'm pulling much hair out trying to get this RAM to work with my nForce2 boards. Given my difficulty, I'm beginning to think there are some serious compatability problems between them and the CMX low latency in spite of corsair's NF7 recommendation found in the memory guide.

[quote name='Mogadishu']BTW, Memtest ran for 20 hours without finding one error. Was that enough time for it to thoroughly test the RAM?[/QUOTE] UPDATE: Since I tested both sticks simultaneously during the previous run, I decided this morning to rerun Memtest on each stick individually as you suggested. In addition, I changed the configuration from [Std] to [All] in test selection, and [BIOS > Std] to [BIOS > All] in memory sizing. I ran a prelim test earlier this morning in addition to those I'm currently conducting. I couldn't allow the prior tests to continue until completion so I'm repeating them now. The errors now are running in the hundreds of thousands for both sticks. Right now stick (A) is testing on my system for the second time. It is currently at test #9 and the errors are in the 650,000 range. No passes. When it is done, I’ll test stick (B) after I completely record all the findings for a report to tech support. I think the complete results should be the final straw that overwhelmingly shows I’ve purchased from Corsair a bad batch of RAM that deserves replacement immediately. I only hope that the RAM I receive in return is of comparable condition as those in my possession as my sticks are virtually brand new and hardly used for obvious reasons. P.S. I would still like to know how the settings you gave correspond to the data fields I have in my BIOS.

• Corsair Employees
For the timings please use this as a reference: Resulting Frequency: 166MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts In addition, I would suggest unless you understand the tests and exactly what they do. You should just use the default 7 tests, as errors in test 11 or 8 may not be a memory problem. Please test them one at a time and let’s see if you get errors still. If you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would suggest testing the memory in another system if possible.

Ramguy, I have tested both sticks individually on two platforms: Abit NF7/Athlon 2400+/Windows XP Pro & LANPARTY NF II Ultra B/Athlon 2800+/Windows 2000 Pro. Please refer to posts one and five. Memtest records many, many errors on both systems, and using either stick of RAM in either Windows environment results in sudden reboots etc. Also, my Micron memory doesn't record errors in Memtest and is perfectly solid in windows. Coincidentally I was using the proper timing settings. I didn't hear from you over the weekend, so I manually entered the numbers programmed by SPD into the memory settings.

• Corsair Employees
What did you have the memory Frequency set to? Should be set to 100%! If so and you get these errors, then please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.

[quote name='RAM GUY']What did you have the memory Frequency set to? [/QUOTE] I assume your asking about the relationship between the CPU and memory frequencies. In both systems' setup, the ratio was set to 1:1 at 166MHz. If your referring to some other setting type, please elaborate further as I'm unclear about your reference. Otherwise I'd like to begin the RMA process as after I receive verification the above information is what you sought to double-check. I attached a screen-shot of the errors I found using memtest on my Athlon 2800+/DFI LanParty Ultra B/Windows XP Pro system just to show the degree of error found using one of the sticks I have. The other stick produces similar results. Thanks, Mog.

Archived