Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP & Corsair XMS Platinum

BigFishy

I am having problems with getting my new setup working properly Twin Paired Low latency Corsair Platinum Series Ram (XMS) 3200DDR 512MB 400MHZ cas 2 (XMS2100Rv1.1) (ECC ram) I am running a Gigabyte KV8VNXP (VIA K8T800) (version 1.0). The problem is that I cannot get my machine to post properly with both sticks of Ram in. With either of them the Machine posts, detected the ram, then continues. With both in (in either slots (1-2,1-3,2-3) the post halts at the memory testing process, and sometimes gives actual screen glitches. :confused: I have updated the BIOS to the latest, and have also requested support (possibly a new beta bios) from Giga-byte. Can you offer any help?

Welcome to the forums, BigFishy! Are you sure "XMS2100Rv1.1" is on your modules? I'm not entirely positive that the K8T800 boards like to run extrememly low latencies, but until RAM GUY can get to this, for stability's sake, you can try to relax them a bit and see if that'll post. I.E.: CAS - 2.5 RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) - 3 RAS Precharge (tRP) - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 7 DDR Voltage - 2.7x PLUR CK

Oh well maybe that is the case : it is running fine with a Single Stick... Now I have been into the bios I have turned up the Timings from Cas 3(default) to Cas 2 My 3Dmark2001 went from 19500 to 20100 : w00t So can anyone confirm (with a working link) that the K8VNXP or VIA k8T800 doesnt support ECC ram : however I have a single stick working fine ??? Could it be that the ram is a Factory Pair, and that the board can only handle single sticks of ECC

[color=blue][b]BigFishy:[/color][/b] Wow, I'm sorry for having given you the run-around! It's taken a lot of searching to figure this one out, but I don't believe the GA-K8VNXP supports registered memory (nor does the Athlon 64 non-FX). Sometimes (as you've seen) one module works just fine, but more than that won't! Since you've got ECC memory and Corsair doesn't make an un-buffered ECC module, then you're also running registered memory. For that mainboard, I'd suggest getting un-buffered non-ECC modules unless you have mission critical tasks running on it (I.E. business related). [color=blue][b]Robolf:[/color][/b] The K8T800 chipset is sort of irrelevant here, the CPU's have integrated memory controllers. Just look at the mainboards, you can see the chipset's connections to the CPU, but the memory pathways on the board itself go directly to the CPU socket! [url]http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_EnlargeView_GA-K8VNXP.htm[/url] Or (this is an Athlon FX board) [url]http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket940/sk8n/sk8n_l.jpg[/url] PLUR CK

aha quite true, i still think of the northbridge as doing that job, anyways was just pointing out that both him and i have K8T800 motherboards and my manual clearly states no registered Dimms, then both motherboards should be the same, and as they both support the A64 that is the case :): as you said ECC isnt the problem here, un-buffered ECC Dimms would work fine on either board. Rob

Ok so what do I do now. Which part number (From corsair) do you suggest I get. I don't wan't to lose performance : and also is it worth me doing this if I have a Stable enviroment, but only 512MB (ps. I'm on Win 2K) Thanks

I have phoned the company I bought the ram from, and they spotted it staright away on the Invoice. They said there would be no problem swapping the memmory :biggrin: I can highly recommend these guys : [url]www.scan.co.uk[/url] I have used them now for over 4 years

Ok I went today to swap the Ram They had no TWINX1024-3200LLPT in stock :sigh!: So I got TWINX1024-3200C2PT instead. :cool: It was quite a painful experience as I had cut open the ram case (I thought that they were vacuum Sealed like the Opteron is). So I was having real problems convinging them to swap it. I pointed out that it was thier staff that suggesested the original ram to go with the board. Anyhow after many short words the guy agreed to swap the old ram into the new packaging and give me the new ram in the broken packaging. Well I got 30 quid back on the deal & I have altered no timingings in the bios, but I have 1 gig of ram now (farcry no-longer stutters). The Ram seems stable as ever & the motherbord now detects it correctly CAS : 2.0 tRC : 12 tRFC : 14 tRCD : 3 tRRD : 2 tRAS : 6 tRP : 3 tWR : 3 tWTR : 2 tRWT : 3 tREF : 2x3120 Which are identical to the setting I had to force earlier (with the old ram)

I've recently built a similar system to Big Fishy. Athlon 64 3200+ GA-K8VNXP TWIN1024-3200C2PT My mobo is auto detecting the settings at the following: CAS 2.5 tRC 11 tRFC 13 tRCD 3 tRRD 2 tRAS 8 tRP 3 tWR 3 tWTR 2 tRWT 4 tREF 2x3120 Are these settings correct? They aren't the same as what Big Fishy's are and he said he is running fine. I'm having problems and trying to figure out what the issue is. If I set my settings manually to what Big Fishy has then BIOS freezes on the first startup screen. It does not even get to start running the memory scan or the IDE scan. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well that would give you 2.5-3-3-8, i think this Ram is rated for a Tras of 6 rather than 8 on your board. I would try a Trc of 11 and Trfc of 16. Also set to 2.7V for Vdimm. Does this work for you? Rob

• 1 month later...

Archived