Corsair Community

PCI-E cable 'ring'?

f_razor

Hi,

I've bought HX750 recently, and on all PCI-E cables, close to the black plug, there's a kind of ring, covered in heatshrink. I've got 2 questions about it:

1. What is it for? I haven't seen this kind of thing before, just curious about its purpose.

2. If I remove it, will it void my warranty? I was planning to sleeve those cables, and already found posts on this forum saying that sleeving will not void the warranty. But what about removing that 'ring'? Of course, if it is going to void my warranty, I suppose I'll have to sleeve the cables with the ring on them...

Thank you for your explanation. Are those magnets required for proper operation of gfx card? Will cables without magnets have any negative effect?

I have 2 Molex-to-PCI-E adapters that came with my graphics card [they don't have any magnets], so at least from gfx card manufacturer's point of view, I should have no problem using those to connect power to the card.

Is it ok to do it, or do I have to use the PCI-E cables that came with HX750? I don't think there's any problem with that, but better to be safe than sorry. I've very little idea about electronics, and who knows, maybe EMI shielding for gfx power cable is needed when using HX750. Hope it isn't because if it is, I can't use those Molex-PCIE adapters I have...

Yes, ferrite cores. Going back to my question - are those cores a required HX750 feature on power supply cable for gfx card, or can I safely use Molex-to-PCIE adapters that came with the card and don't have any ferrite cores on them?

Those rings [ferrite cores] are actually at the gfx card's end of PCIE cables, so when you connect them, they'll be few centimeters from the card. Only PCIE cables have them. All the other cables are 'clean' :)

I can't remove them without voiding the warranty, so I thought I'll swap them for Molex-PCIE adapters that came with gfx card [and don't have any cores]. But before I do that, I wanted to know if I have to use original Corsair PCIE cables, for any reason. Maybe PSU is affecting gfx card somehow and that's why ferrite cores are on those cables.

I haven't seen any other PSU with cables like that, so I started thinking that Corsair probably didn't put those ferrite cores there without a reason. I've read about it, and it seems sometimes those cores help manufacturers to comply with some standards that are required, but don't have any other special purpose. If that's the case, I can swap them for cables without cores.

But if HX750 PSU needs those cores in place, on PCIE cables, for other than 'cosmetic' reasons, I'd like to know [to make sure that I'm not affecting my gfx card's in any way if I change cables with cores for ones that don't have them].

• 3 years later...
These are magnets to help prevent EMI interference with other components in your system and yes it will VOID the warranty if you remove them.

I guess this is not accurate anymore, because Corsair also sells custom sleeved cables without those magnet rings. So I guess it would be safe to remove them for you own sleeving. Otherwise if it would have a negative impact on the PSU or anything alike, they wouldn't be selling custom sleeved cables without those magnet rings in the first place. ;)

(and sorry for bumping a very old topic, but I got this with a hit on Google).

• Corsair Employees
Functionality wise, yes, it's not really required as those are precautionary measures that we've considered that is part of the design, but removing the ring from the PCI-E cable that is permanently attached to the PSU will still void your warranty.

Archived