Corsair Community

Corsair Memory Asus QVL Question

dawg2k

Hello All,

Need opinion/help deciding on system memory for new build centered on Asus P6T Deluxe V2. I haven't built system in a long time and don't understand Asus QVL list. I want to use Corsair 1600 (PC1280) Cas 7... TR3X6G1600C7 G. However, that memory is not on the Asus QVL list and seems only Cas 8.... TR3X6G1600C8D is listed. From my understanding DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) is the sweet spot for X58 and anything above is moot, (PC3 1800 - 2000). However, Cas latency would be the the real performance factor. Real world performance would come from Cas latency of 7 that would outperform Cas 8.

My real question is why aren't Cas 7 modules officially supported by this mobo and can I use them without degrading the lifespan of the system? Corsair's web site does say the Cas 7 modules, TR3X6G1600C7 G are infact X58 compatible but do not mention this part number as compatible with the Asus P6T Deluxe V2. I just don't see the need to spend extra money on the Corsair Dominator to get modules with heat fins with higher latency.

Here is a quote from one review on Newegg using Asus P6T WS Professional with Corsair TR3X6G1600C7 G;

"" Cons: The XMP sets a dangerously high (1.38V) QPI/DRAM Core Voltage (according to Intel and ASUS), which is completely unnecessary. I tested it at 1.2V, with 2Hrs Memtest and 12 Hrs Prime95 Blend, and received no errors at this lower voltage. Because of this high voltage set by the XMP, I consider it the XMP useless (-1 egg) and have to set all of the values manually. """

Should I be concerned about these modules? Would really like to run with these timings...7-7-7-20 1T 1600MHz@ <=1.65v.

I have built approximately 1000 systems since 1994 and use Corsair RAM exclusively. Never a problem!

Other Components.... your suggestions!

Corsair Ram TR3X6G1600C7 G or TR3X6G1600C8D????

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dawg

The QVL came out well before that memory did. They don't update the QVL once the board comes out. The memory will work fine. If you think the XMP is setting the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage too high for your taste, then just set it up manually.

Archived