Corsair Community

Can't install windows on SSD P128

gekko668

I recently purchased the P128 and put it in my gateway T-1628 but for some reason; after the gateway logo screen disappears, all I see is the black screen with blinking cursor on the top left screen.

I went to bios and it was able to detects the SDD but after I exit, it wont let me boot the recovery discs or the windows 7 disc. It wont let you boot anything. So I took and plugged it into my desktop, formatted it as primary and plugged it back it into the gateway but same old.

I flashed the bios with the latest update but it doesn't solves anything. The gateway bios for this laptop is very basic, it doesn't have setting for hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I purchased the defected ssd?

• Corsair Employees

I would check with Gateway and see if they have a newer BIOS you can try and if they have seen this issue before, also do you have an option to set the Boot priority so you can set the CD/DVD to boot before the HDD?

And just to test the SSD/HDD try and see if it will let you install it on the desktop.

make sure its detected in the BIOS and make sure the system is set to boot from the CD/DVD first or you may end up with flashy _ at the top

it does that when it cant find any thing on the drive to boot from it should when the SSD is Blank (no partition) auto skip the SSD/HDD and boot from cd/dvd but i think corsair pre-format there SSDs with an NTFS partition (mine was) and that would prevent that from happening as most BIOS are setup to boot from HDD/SSD first and if there is an partition on there it try an boot from it and fail as there is nothing to boot from on the SSD/HDD so it just hangs Most Desktops montherboards thow up an error most laptops just give you an flashy _ (not very helpfull)

just to make sure you only did an quick format as well if you did an full format you need to use HDDerase to bring the drive back up to speed (it still work even if you do not just it operate bit slower)

When you formatted, did you change the allocation unit size? It needs to be set to 4096 to install windows onto it. I don't think any other allocation unit size is supported by windows. If you formatted it incorrectly, I think you'll need to do a full format just to correct the issue which isn't normally recommended since it will slow your drive down.

Jason

he not getting that far, he not even got to the boot from cd/dvd yet so disk (i point you to read back what i posted as i am only going to say what i typed above, more about he got an partition on it so the laptop does not look at the cd/dvd drive part due to the partition)

• Corsair Employees

gekko668 when you turn on the system and when its still showing the Logo hit the escape Key or F8 and that should bring up the boot menu and allow you to select the Boot device. I think what we are all suggesting here is the NB seems to be not booting to CD/DVD First.

Any way did you get this sorted out?

I did all of that but forgot to post it. I changed the boot order to boot the cd/dvd drive and used the gateway recovery disc but not working. I used windows xp disc but still not working.

For Gateway F10 is the boot menu. Tried that it doesn't work either. Regardless of what media I tried to boot, all it gives me is the blinking _ and that's it. I put it in my desktop, it doesn't recognized it until I partition it with Acronis and windows automatically mounted it as E: I put it back to the laptop and still getting the _ .

I contacted gateway and their reps isn't helpful either. So I think I can safely conclude that my gateway laptop mobo is not compatible with this P128 ssd.

I took the ssd and insert it into my desktop again, it was able to mount in windows so I inserted windows 7 disk and restart the computer; after a quick POST and it gives a blinking _ for a few second boot to windows 7 and I was able to formatted the partition and install Windows 7.

I have to admitted, the installation with the ssd was so quick. It took like less then half an hour to finished. I was very impressed. Anyway after installation I turned off, removed the ssd and put it back to the laptop and still no go.

I even take it and put it into my friend hp laptop, it gives the blinking _ for a few second and boot the windows 7, and recovery disc. His laptop is a year older than mine.

I dont know what's to do anymore.

the chip set and hardware is very different there is an very low chance that the system will boot if windows was loaded on an other system then moved to an new computer (less likey to boot with vista/7 then XP)

Disable the card reader if the BIOS lets you to (as i see the web site it has one) could be stopping it, if you got the option to mess with it change the SATA mode to IDE/SATA or AICH, make sure Nothing USB is plugged in, if you can Disable every thing if the Bios gives you the option to but a lot of laptops have Very basic options (the Sata/IDE or AHCI option may do it)

have you tried waiting for longer then 1 min and does the disk work when the SSD is not in the system or an hdd is in there

Remove all Partitions on the SSD before putting it into the laptop as that may be preventing it from picking the dvd drive to boot

windows 7 should take about 10-15 mins Tops and thats on an HDD or my SSD, to install 30min bit long, Have you done an Full format if so get HDDerase and Wipe it (it does an low level format so basically its like new when your first got it), an full format Forces the whole drive into an slow state, once you have done an full HDDerase turn desktop off and put it in the laptop try and boot from the dvd when doing it keep pressing any key (left and right arrow will do) never do an full format

• 4 weeks later...

Can't you use Acronis to make an image of your previous gateway drive (output the image to an external drive) and then connect your SSD to your desktop and transfer the image from the external to the SSD.

That's what I did and it worked fine...(I have an Asus laptop though)

Can't you use Acronis to make an image of your previous gateway drive (output the image to an external drive) and then connect your SSD to your desktop and transfer the image from the external to the SSD.

That's what I did and it worked fine...(I have an Asus laptop though)

I just put the SSD into an external enclosure and plugged it to my Sony laptop. I cloned the old drive to the SSD with Acronis, then swapped them out. It was fast and easy. 2.5" external enclosures are as cheap as $10.00 online.

gekko668's problem isn't with his SSD drive, its with his laptop. Either of the methods above would work around that issue for him.

So yeah I formatted the ssd with hdd eraser, clone the entire drive with acronis, and put back the ssd into the hdd bay. I turn it on and it still gives the blinking _ .

I dont know what else to do with it consider I have tried all the methods. Is it possible that the sata controller on my T-1628 is incompatible with the ssd? The funny thing is that I insert the ssd into the external casing and restart the computer, have it boot to the usb; low and behold it boot but gives bsod a few second later.

• Corsair Employees
More than likely its setting something in the controller that is not working properly or may need another type of driver. Have you checked with the maker of that system to see if they have a newer BIOS and or if there has been any one else having problems with any SSD Drive?

I have searched for a while but as it seems there are rare people who are having problem similar to mine. I checked the mfg website and they only have one bios update which was released around 07. They haven't update their bios and drivers for over 2 years.

Archived