Corsair Community

Running 8GB general questions:

schugh

I just had a few questions about running 8 GB and why it appears to be problematic.

Right away I had problems. After a few hours of troubleshooting and searching the web, I seem to have got things stable. I am on my second pass of MemTest at 50%. I had to change several BIOS settings.

With default BIOS settings and only one pair (4GB) on the board at a time, there were no issues whatsoever running @ 1066. When I put all 4 stick on the board with default BIOS settings and running at 800 MHz it seems to be all good. But as soon as I set the dram freq to 1066 things go completely wonky. With some help from the web and some of my own trial and error, I seem to have got things working with all 8 GB @ 1066. However, in the BIOS, one of the settings I had to change was this "Ai clock twister". I had to set it at the lowest setting "lighter" for maximum DRAM compatibility but supposedly at the cost of performance. Although at this time I don't know what I am loosing in performance with this setting.

So my questions really are about running 8 GB of ram. If you want to do that what are the things one should do? Board manufacturers easily say they support 8 GB or 16 GB of ram but they don't give you any fine print or set of rules that if you want to run this much ram you should be looking at ram with these specs or these bios setting etc.

In other places perhaps in this forum also I've heard it say with 8GB or ram you are really putting load on the memory controller and you should set it to 800 or 667. But then it doesn't seem to make sense to pay a bit extra for PC8500. Is it ok to get 2 pairs of identically speced dram? Or should one get 4 sticks in a single pack or 2 4GB sticks (no one seems to sell that anyway)? Also what about long term reliability? Is this going to make the board fail earlier rather then later? Will the memory controller give up the ghost sooner because I've loaded it up with 8 GB of ram. There's very little information about this on the net. I am worried about long term stability and reliability.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived