Corsair Community

Vista 64bit business blue screens frequently

jpag

I'm wondering if my RAM is not compatible, or I simply shouldn't be using 4 sticks. (I haven't tried the system with just 2 sticks). There is no overclocking.

I'm getting frequent blue screen crashes in vista 64bit in the past 12 hours since I installed it. I ran the memory diagnostic (not memtest) which notified me of 'hardware failures' (but did not specify a log because: ) at the end of running that program it could not log back into Vista (to display the results), when I rebooted the system Vista ran as if it never did the test.

The blue screen errors vary, one of them was a memory error, another mentioned NFTS, (probably because it crashed during an install of a program).

I have a

GA-EP45C-UD3R (gigabyte motherboard)

with

(4 sticks= 4gb = 2 kits ) each kit = CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Model TWIN2X2048-6400

this is a recent upgrade from using just two sticks in another gigabyte motherboard, I bought the an additional kit (of 2 sticks) to double the RAM.

any help would be greatly / tremendously appreciated. I noticed that this motherboard is not listed in your compatibaility charts, and there is just one other post regarding this motherboard.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!

I'm thinking it might be a bad stick of ram, I swapped out pairs, and tried the news ones first and got errors in Vista Memory Diagnostic (and blue screen crashes).

I then switched to the other pair of RAM and no errors, ran again Vista Memory Diagnostic (no hardware errors reported), and also did memtest with no errors. No blue screens either while playing GOW.

Should I just report a DOA or try configuring the 4 sets together in the BIOS as suggested? I noticed when removing the (so far) faulty RAM it was especially warmer than the other two sticks. I still haven't done a memtest with the potentially faulty RAM sticks.

again thanks for all the input!

Okay so I ran memtest, recap.

I tested the two original sticks and they came off clean no errors. The two New sticks pulled a bunch of errors, so I ran each of the two sticks, and found one only having all the errors.

I've had well over 11,500 error reports in one pass (12minutes).

I'm going to RMA the matching sticks. Thanks for your help all.

Archived