Corsair Community

4 sticks of Corsair CMX512-4400C25 wont run at DDR550

IMK

Hello,

I having problem running 4 sticks of Corsair CMX512-4400C25 in SAME MBs at DDR550 any ideas please?

So I have two MBs a ASUS A8N32-SLi-Delux and a DFi Expert Venus and two 939 CPUs a FX60 and a Opteron 170 (this easily OCs to 2500).

Testing results:

A8N32 with the four CMX512 fails to run reliably at FSB 270 (DDR540) 3,4,4,8 timing T2 at various VDDR.

Dfi Venus with the four CMX512 fails to run reliably at FSB 270 (DDR540) 3,4,4,8 timing T2 at various VDDR.

Both the motherboards with either CPU will run at FSB 280 (DDR560) with a single pair of the CMX512 at 2.5,4,4,8 T1 at VDDR of 2.8.

The Dfi Expert Venus will run reliably with a pair of the Corsair CMX512 and a pair of GSkill F1-3200DSu2-1GBLE installed at the same time running at FSB 280 (DDR560) at 2.5,4,4,8 T2 at VDDR of 2.79.

I have not tested the A8N32 with the Corsair and GSkill combination.

Any ideas please as it seems really odd the no combination of MB and CPU will run all four of these Corsair sticks but the Venus/FX60 will run happily at DDR560 with different manufactures sticks?

Many thanks IMK

Unfortunately, when running 4 DIMMs, more stress is placed on the memory controller, so running all the modules at once at a high speed becomes too difficult for the machine to handle. That's why individual pairs will operate at the highest speeds but adding another pair fails.

That's why it is recommended for most people to get a higher capacity modules in pairs, rather than using 2 pairs to get the same capacity.

In the case of your other mixed pairs, that's just luck of the draw. Not everyone with those same modules as your others would probably have as much luck with all modules running at full speed.

It could be a limitation of your board as well. If DDR550 isn't natively supported, then overclocking to achieve this would also decrease the likelihood of being able to successfully achieve full speed with four modules.

Ylennic

Many thanks for your reply. However I am not sure is it simply pot luck but some parameter that I have not tried as yet like "Drive Strengths".

Or some other parameter outside the 2.5,4,4,8 that I noramlly test with.

Again many thanks IMK

I am sorry but 4 modules of this part will not run at full speed on any MB I am aware of. Maybe DDR450-DDR500 but probably more like DDR400-425 at most.

Hello RAM GUY and many thanks for your reply.

May I ask why you feel that four of these sticks wont run together please?

Again many thanks IMK

They're not tested that way, so they can't be guaranteed to do it.

Hello Wired;408989

Well after forty years as an electronics and IT (Mmmm before IT in fact ) Engineer that is the sorriest excuse I have heard in a goodly time. NOT TESTED THAT WAY “CRAP”.

No where I can see in the below link to the product specification does is mention that these RAM sticks will NOT work at full speed when installed as a set of four.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/twinx1024-4400.pdf

And I am more than just a little disappointed if that is the best response that I can expect on a Corsair product support forum. So much so as when I upgrade my systems next I will think twice, Mmmm three times before looking at Corsair for product.

Many thanks for not a lot IMK

• Corsair Employees

IMK

With 4 modules on any un-buffered memory platforms there is more loading on the memory controller and it is common to have to slow the memory down when the system is fully loaded with memory, and in fact most of the MB's I have seen using DDR1 would suggest setting the memory at DDR333 when all four slots are populated.

These modules are tested with two modules one set at the full speed in an over clocked situation to get the modules full rated speed and using 4 of them will degrade the head room you would need to over clock the system.

Archived