Corsair Community

Self healing?

IDG

Hi,

I'm quite interested in the apparent 'Self Healing' of the P128. It seems ideal (over other SSDs) for RAIDing, where TRIM commands don't get passed the RAID controller.

However, the only place I've seen any info on this is on the Guru of 3D website - http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-p128-ssd-review/2

Does anybody have any further info on this?

Cheers, Ian :confused:

Hi,

I'm quite interested in the apparent 'Self Healing' of the P128. It seems ideal (over other SSDs) for RAIDing, where TRIM commands don't get passed the RAID controller.

However, the only place I've seen any info on this is on the Guru of 3D website - http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-p128-ssd-review/2

Does anybody have any further info on this?

Cheers, Ian :confused:

Hey Ian,

I got my two 128P (gen2) babys in a raid-0 array, and once in a while i let the PC in bios mode (Asus Express gate)

This is a idle state for the whole PC and therfore my SSD drives can rest and heal.

If its true... i dont now??? Who k

nows?

My system is a dual RAID-0 array with 2 VelociRaptors 300GB and 2 Corsair 128P Solid State Disks.

I've been testing and tuning and have the 256 MB all overwritten some time, and my performance is still super good.

I think it's working... the self healing feature. :cool:

tuning the following things is important;

Prefetch and superfetch both OFF

pagesys to small variabel 16-18000 on Drive D: (Raptors)

UAC OFF

Hibernation file ... delete the whole thing (cmd: powercfg.exe -h off)

defrag on manual en never use it for SSD

Clear pagefile at shutdown must be on in register

Enable Large System cache also in register

DONT limit Ntfs memory use " " "

Disable NTFS 8.3 Name creation " " "

Disable File date stamping " " "

Disable BOOT tracing " " "

Disable System Restore

Disable al the services manual at that moment, those they not needed for healing feature.

This is enough tweaking for a blizzard system...

I hope we can enjoy the corsair SSD's for a long time.

Dolfke

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5784&stc=1&d=1248039916

:biggrin:

2101799033_ScreenHunter_1211-Jul14_59.jpg.58d09dc0d2074ae2fc7a5ad6d16916a3.jpg

Cheers for that.

D'you know what firmware version your P128s have? VBM18C1Q sounds like it's the key for Self Healing.

Also, just looked at your benchmark shot. Is that really a striped pair of SSDs? Although blistering by normal standards, I've seen some benchmarks of nearly twice that performance.

Ian

when windows 7 comes out (2-3 month?) Nag corsair and samsung for the update, samsung are not likely going to offer an update tool yet until windows 7 comes out even thought there are newer versions of the firmware out on the SSDs them selfs, there are no official or unofficial way to update them untill they bring an tool out

at the moment only thing that noobs an corsair S/P lines (or samsung) SSD is full format or filling the SSD to the point it runs out of space (keep 20-30gb free), you have to do an HDDerase on it once that happens (does an low level format sets all the disk to an New state)

the mag (custom pc, mod me if not allowed) they reviewed both the P128 and P256 did the same degraded SSD state when full format was done (still Who ever does an Full format?? bad idea to do on an SSD in the first place) the mag did say the corsair SSDs was an little faster at loading games and windows then other brands (talking small numbers here like 1-2 secs at most)

it be nice if there was an TRIM wiper tool for corsair S/P 128 and 256 drives once they go slow (does take months to happen thought as mine is still running at its Spec speed)it be more needed for XP/vista systems due not not having TRIM support (when it comes to the SSD in firmware update)

Cheers for that.

D'you know what firmware version your P128s have? VBM18C1Q sounds like it's the key for Self Healing.

Also, just looked at your benchmark shot. Is that really a striped pair of SSDs? Although blistering by normal standards, I've seen some benchmarks of nearly twice that performance.

Ian

Hi Ian,

The bench with HDTune is not correct because of Vista's overhead.

When i plug my SSD's into another drive configuration others than C: the performance is hugh and it will be reading seq files 396 MB/sec and writing 350 MB/sec.

But... when starting the SSD-array (striped 128Kb) my WIN Vista 64 Ultimates starts within 30 seconds from te BiosBeep.

SiSoft Sandra has the same results in real-time on this moment used the C: drive... check this out.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=5790&stc=1&d=1248300894

That's more realistic not?

My Asus Board has a nice util mamed AI NAP Idle and your PC will put almost all hardware in a sort of sleep and goes IDLE.

From that moment my LED from SSD's (HD cable) flashes very softly.

I Think that's the Self Healing Mode goes on and BAD CELL-Information problems like undeleted files gets solved.

The 256 GB has some time overwritten and it still's very fast with booting and copyng files.

1124707002_ScreenHunter_0222-Jul20_53.thumb.jpg.18927c7428077bee8d09664443a4d4d6.jpg

when windows 7 comes out (2-3 month?) Nag corsair and samsung for the update, samsung are not likely going to offer an update tool yet until windows 7 comes out even thought there are newer versions of the firmware out on the SSDs them selfs, there are no official or unofficial way to update them untill they bring an tool out

at the moment only thing that noobs an corsair S/P lines (or samsung) SSD is full format or filling the SSD to the point it runs out of space (keep 20-30gb free), you have to do an HDDerase on it once that happens (does an low level format sets all the disk to an New state)

the mag (custom pc, mod me if not allowed) they reviewed both the P128 and P256 did the same degraded SSD state when full format was done (still Who ever does an Full format?? bad idea to do on an SSD in the first place) the mag did say the corsair SSDs was an little faster at loading games and windows then other brands (talking small numbers here like 1-2 secs at most)

it be nice if there was an TRIM wiper tool for corsair S/P 128 and 256 drives once they go slow (does take months to happen thought as mine is still running at its Spec speed)it be more needed for XP/vista systems due not not having TRIM support (when it comes to the SSD in firmware update)

Hi there,

I have my system running for a few weeks now with Vista 64 and a couple of Corsair SSD's 128P gen2 in an RAID-0 Array.

My clean NEW install on this system that i did, was with the Vista Ultimate DVD.

First an drive array in Asus Bios (256 GB striped 128kb) arranged.

Vista DVD makes the aligment without any problems and 25 minutes later whole Vista started for the first time on a brandnew system.

Starttime after all the updates SP2 etc... and all SSD tweaking.

7 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Express gate disabled) from the beep.

Fast, superfast....

Now some weeks further it's more a natural startup-time.

With a full load of 3D packets-installs and all the programming tools and a register about 90 MB big (optimised) Vista nows starts in 35 seconds from the beep. That's normal...

After benching with 9 intensive programs my SSD's capacity was all overwritten for a few times and slows a little down...not much but i just feel the difference when starting Vista up.

That register still sucks, it grows and grows until it explodes.

Today i did a Quickformat on my SSD drives and installs Vista and all updates again.

It was the same result... 7 seconds to startup...wow..

No more benchmarking now so the drives keeps a long time clean from bagger.

Now i have the perfect startup parameters and finetuning installed with most of all my 3D applications and stuff.

Startup Vista 64 SP2 is now 21 seconds.... please don't cry.. :laughing:

I'm happy with Corsairs new SSD's with samsung controller.

Thanks

Dolfke

Archived