Corsair Community

slow benchmark for 128gbg2d for half

gr8wht

I installed 128gbg2d ssd drive in my computer as to run vista 64 home. I used acronis true image to copy the 45 gb of info off my main 1 tb hitachi drive. I am using the ssd to boot and the hitachi as a secondary drive. Everything has worked except when I benchmark the ssd, the first half is slow then the second half of the benchmark levels out to where it is suppose to read.. I used hd tune to benchmark it. I am new to most but a fast learner. I have adjusted some settings as indexing off, prefetching disabled and it still is the same. What is wrong?

HDTune_Benchmark_SATA____CORSAIR_CMFSSD-1.png.1b030286913a8465bb0b2872f5e11776.png

does the system boot in under 20 secs ? if so i would really ignore hd tune, its not the data rate that makes the system respond faster its the access times and yours is 0.1, i have had them results from time to time you find it be some random stuff that vista does

use an File benchmark like CrystalDiskMark the 4k should be around 2-10mb/s

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html#CrystalDiskMark

the bit when it goes up to 200 or 150mb is parts of the disk that has not been used yet (its still in an erased state so hd tune gets high numbers back)

Hi. There are two reasons why (I think) that your benchmarks are a little less than expected:

1. You copied the disc, as opposed to doing a clean install.
  2. There was no trim performed prior to copying. And unfortunately for now, there is no trim to clean it up after copying.

I did the same thing, from one SSD to our 128 2d Corsair. Then I copied the Corsair drive back to the original SSD. The trim command on that original source SSD cleaned up a lot. I ran the trim command three times on that SSD. Then I copied that trimmed SSD drive back to our Corsair again. Faster response on the Corsair this second time!

I did more, but the above is the bottom line. We need a trim utility.

does the system boot in under 20 secs ? if so i would really ignore hd tune, its not the data rate that makes the system respond faster its the access times and yours is 0.1, i have had them results from time to time you find it be some random stuff that vista does

My total boot time is about 1 min from no power to main screen. 30 secs to microsoft bar scan.

Here are the results from the test ran

--------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 © 2007-2008 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 165.495 MB/s

Sequential Write : 135.235 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 139.230 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 114.827 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 19.695 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 6.950 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB

Date : 2009/07/18 20:22:25

I did the same thing, from one SSD to our 128 2d Corsair. Then I copied the Corsair drive back to the original SSD. The trim command on that original source SSD cleaned up a lot. I ran the trim command three times on that SSD. Then I copied that trimmed SSD drive back to our Corsair again. Faster response on the Corsair this second time!

And as to the trim utility, what you are suggesting is I wipe the drive clean, saving whats important. I only have the 1 tb drive and not a second ssd. Do I need to do a fresh install? :confused: For if I try to transfer the files over again, I would have the same problem(theorectically).

the speeds you are getting from that diskmark seem to be correct (Write cache seems to be turned on and the results apart from constant read matches my SSD yours is P128 so your constant read/Write will be faster then mine but random 512 and 4k seem to be correct as well)

i using windows 7 so my boot time is cut down a lot compared to vista i can be at desktop reboot my pc and be Back at desktop in an under 1 min

takes 30 secs to get from BIOS to desktop, about 10 secs of that is my BIOS

i am using the corsair S128

what you mean bar scan (you mean from the point you see the vista logo to the point desktop loads? )

if your planning on using SSD best to use windows 7 so that the Trim command can be used (that should be auto) when SSD makers offer firmware updates to support it (this does not affect samsung/corsair P based ssds as much but it can after some time)

And as to the trim utility, what you are suggesting is I wipe the drive clean, saving whats important. I only have the 1 tb drive and not a second ssd. Do I need to do a fresh install? :confused: For if I try to transfer the files over again, I would have the same problem(theorectically).

No, no need to do any more maneuvering. When the trim command program is released, then we will use it. I was explaining how I came to the conclusion that we need a trim command program. You are correct; you would have the same problem. I was able to clean up my source SSD before copying it with a trim program. If we had the trim program now, it would help our Corsair’s SSDs. So you and I want, and are waiting for, a trim command program.

the wiper tool uses the TRIM command on free space where there is not data, soon as windows 7 come out fully samsung/corsair Will (as we demand it) likely bring an firmware update tool out and the firmware that suppports Trim command fully (so will the other makers as well)

I have the same problem with my P128. However, the interesting thing, is the that S128 doesn't have the problem. I believe it's a problem with the drive or the firmware. I comped the OS from the same source onto both the S and P, so they have the same software.

When i run Crystal, atto, etc.. i get better speeds, but i am not so much worried about speed, as i am worried about the actual performance. I feel that the S Performs better then the P.

I'll try a clean install of Vista/XP/7 and how S performs against P.

-MatthewJ

CORSAIR_P_CMFSSD-128GB.png.fa5cef7849342067dc286296697cbbf2.png

CORSAIR_S_CMFSSD-128GB.png.04e57f021f36c3223955706bf9b37b11.png

as the original starter of this thread, I continued to look for answers and ran hdtune a couple of more times. The only change I did was speed my i-7 920 to 3.o Now my I get a steady more even line without doing much. Everytime I ran hdtune the line got better over the last couple of days. I also ran crystal mark a couple of times too to verify. I did delete some files that were not necessary form the ssd that were like pics and other miscellaneous files. Here is my reading of hdtune now. Is there an auto correction kicking in?:roll:HDTune_Benchmark_SATA____CORSAIR_CMFSSD-2.png.ad07caa2898eea2bb84387380fde456a.png

I installed 128gbg2d ssd drive in my computer as to run vista 64 home. I used acronis true image to copy the 45 gb of info off my main 1 tb hitachi drive. [ATTACH]5781[/ATTACH]

Did I read somewhere that there is an issue using this method and Acronis? I know there has been in the past with other brands of drives but, I have not personally tested this with our drives.

A fresh install will take at least a days worth (24 hrs) with the 5 programs I have installed and the many patches and updates to download. A last resort for me if I get desperate. Thats why I used acronis true image. Haven't heard of too many issues like mine with the acronis program.

As far as the extened bios tests enabled, I have enabled ahci which seemed too slow down the boot up and I did not see any increase in performance on hdtune. So, I kept everything in default. I tried raid but it slowed boot up also and didn't increase the speed.

Right now its running around 150mb read but if I can get more with it running the os, I will try it. As far as other extended bios tests being enabled, could you specify some I could try.

NO You missed the point I think he was trying to make!

30 Seconds seems a bit long to get through the post, is that a guess or have you timed it?

Did you enable/Disable Quick power self test? For expmaple as that would/may slow the Post process down and explain the slow post.

Archived