Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 / TWIN2X4096-6400C5 question

Binx

Hello all, I bought my computer last year (March area) nothings changed with my systems specs since i bought it, was running perfectly fine with Vista ulti 64bit up until around march this year. I decided to go back to XP to play some very old games that just refused to run on Vista, before i went to XP everything was perfect, no BSOD, no freezing no lag was all gravy.

Went to XP, no problems there.. I hooked my computer upto a laptop that would seem was full of viruses, so i reformated and decided to come back to Vista ulti 64bit....

Ever since i have come back to Vista ulti i have been suffering from terrible terrible BSOD's OR my computer just freezes, then restart's itself (Stupidly i have forgotten to write down the BSOD error)

I tried numerous fixes including updating SP, updating/backdating drivers for both Video and Sound, hit a intersection thought it might have been my USB Headset, after countless attempts of fixing i am still suffering from BSOD.

I noticed i only blue screened when i was putting alot of strain on my computer with various programs running + a game, so as a last attempt i tried Memtest and lo' and behold. I had quite a few errors, namely "Failing Address: 0007feee78 - 2046.8MB" "Good: 10101010" "Bad: 10101011" - I am using 2 sticks of the same ram totalling 4GB Total

So i decided possible it was a RAM based error, thus i came googling and found this lovely forum with words of wisdom being BIOS Settings for RAM

After a lengthy explaination, My question is would reformatting to XP then back to Vista have changed the BIOS settings and the voltage etc be off for 4GB of RAM, causing my RAM to BSOD/Freeze me? (If so could someone tell me the defaults and possibly link/quick tut on what i need to change exactly)

Sorry if anything is off or it was poorly presented, I am not that much of a computing genius, and its...1am in the morning.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.9-2.0 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• Corsair Employees

In the user manual that came with your MB should explain how to update the BIOS and you can go to the MB makers download section for your specific MB and see if there is a BIOS update available.

And the tested settings for the modules can be found from the link in my signature.

just to clarify so i dont go changing it all wrong,

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400:

Is that the one i use for my RAM, as i couldnt see any CM2X, only XMS2, and it goes upto C4, then its just empty so i figure thats for the C5?

and i just put the settings below it into my bios after i have updated it, then run mem test again with each stick to figure out if it 'fixed' my problem i am having?

-Edit

I feel like a total numpty cos i dont know any of this stuff, but i updted my BIOS went into my bios to set my default timing etc for my RAM but i cant find any of the options under the 'testing parameters' in the bios, like i could find PCI freq. Auto, but i couldnt find the part to put it at 33.33 freq. any help you could offer a newb on this at all?

• Corsair Employees

Tested settings would be:

Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 18T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9-1.8 Volts (Printed on the Label)

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled

DDR2 Termination: 0.5x

CPU to NB HT:____1.200V

NB to SB HT:_____AUTO

NB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control

CKE:______AUTO

CS/ODT:__1.00X

ADD/CMD:_1.00X

MEMCLK:__1.00X

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

Archived