Corsair Community

Speed versus stability?

rafferty

This probably gets asked all the time so I apologise in advance.

I'm buying a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R mobo this weekend for a new build. Corsair recommend "For the enthusiast" TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4-4-4-12 and "For the overclocker" TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 5-5-5-18. Both with the 'dominator heatspreaders'.

Out of the box and without any overclocking, which of those would be fastest and/or most stable? How would they compare say with the cheapest in the longer recommended list, the TWIN2X4096-6400C5C, 5-5-5-18 with standard black heatspreader? In the real world would I notice the differences in speed?

At the moment I don't anticipate overclocking though might look again if it didn't compromise stability which is the number one priority.

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for you patience.

• Corsair Employees

You really need to make some decisions on what you plan on doing, that would direct my suggestion.

If you do not want to over clock I would suggest you get TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX, however if you are going to over clock then TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF would be suggested.

Thanks RG that's very helpful.

So unless I intend to over-clock, which I certainly don't at the moment, there's absolutely no advantage in going for the 8500C5 or the low latency 6400C4?

Would the 8500C5DF be at least as stable etc. as the 6400C5DHX both running at standard settings and not over-clocked if I decided to get it just to keep my future options open?

The 6400C5DHX is recommended over the standard XMS because of the better heat-spreader I take it?

• Corsair Employees
TWIN2X4096-6400C5XXX either choice would be great if you are not going to over clock. Our "DHX" part would offer the best cooling and I would suggest it over the C5/C5C in most cases especially if you are in a warmer climate or have high inside case temps. IE Ruining High end graphics cards and such will add more heat to the whole system, so cooling is more Cuticle.

Archived