Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF not running on 533

Lemmy

Hello...

I am having problems overclocking my system and in particular running the memory on the stock settings.

The closest I got with the memory is DDR2 -1000mhz instead of the stock DDR2 1066mhz and it should get higher when OC-ing.

The higher my FSB on a slightly lower multiplier (8) has the "best" result, but still the memory can't be set on stock speed. legacy USB disable isn't making a difference in the memtest if I exceed around the 460mhz limit for the memory when checking the throughput in mb/s (around 4000mb/s at max speed)

I start to think there is something wrong with the motherboard or the memory.

Single memory testing and in different slots give other errors. (Different beeps and hangs) Setting the timings manual crashes my BIOS settings when trying to get it on the stock settings.

Any ideas?

Maybe 4 x 1gb modules instead of 2x 2gb's?

greets, Ronald

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I didn't implied mixing modules just smaller sizes with more quantity (4 modules) instead of bigger sizes in less quantity (2 modules)

Any way I allready tested with different dividers if that is what Ramguy means. The only thing I can do is Try the modules on 2.20v because i saw that v1 modules should try 2.2 instead of 2.1 for v2 modules. I can bump the NB up also. But I allready know that with memory on 2.1volt and MCH on 1.55/1.65volt with a divider 667 or 800 doesn't cut it. Also when testing the modules as single.

Only thing i didn't test is bumping the MCH up along with the vcore for the module(s).

I get back ASAP.

• Corsair Employees
The Max Memory Voltage would be 2.1 Volts for these modules and I would not go over that. If I understand you correctly, I would suggest you test the modules one at a time at their tested settings to be sure one is not failing before you do anything else.

Just finished testing. I am glad I have stayed on 2.1 stock voltage for the modules, now I see Ramguy's latest post :).

the highest possible mhz for the modules as single are for both 261 FSB resulting in 1044. Otherwise the system won't go past POST. If I set it higher Memtest will give thousands of errors.

What strikes me is that when in dual channel the tests in memtest are taking longer. Is that normal?

This is al tested with the 800 divider multiplier on 8, vcore on 2.1, mch on 1.50/1.55. I can't test on 667 because I don't have that option. I tested also on 533 divider but that option fails no matter what I do.

Since the type of ram is compatible with my Motherboard according to the corsair site, I am a little stuck right now!

• Corsair Employees

Something does not make sense, do you have the latest BIOS version and did you load setup defaults before you set any settings?

You should be able to load setup defaults and then set the tested settings of the modules and as long as you have the CPU Listed in your profile should be running at 1066 FSB with default settings!

Loaded the default settings:

NB Bootstrap PSB1066

Dram Spec (CPU:Dram) 2:3 divider

FSB 272x9 408 MHz (DDR2-816)

DDR 2.00v

New Settings:

NB Bootstrap PSB800

Dram Spec (CPU:Dram) 1:2 divider

FSB 266x9 532 MHz (DDR2-1064)

DDR 2.10v

*The new settings result in one long BIOS beep.

Downgrading BIOS maybe?

*Edit: added screenshot cpu-z...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lemmers/ssm.JPGhttp://www.xs4all.nl/~lemmers/ssm2.JPG

• Corsair Employees

The MB you have only supports DDR800 Max

Memory

- 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 8GB

- Supports Dual channel DDR2 800/667 Un-buffered / Non-ECC memory

To run faster than DDR800 you would have to over clock the CPU but I doubt it will do much over DDR960-DDR1000.

Why does the memory configurator on the Corsair site shows that the Win2X4096-8500C5DF is compatible with my mobo? I can't recommend memory for a mobo when you can't use the max potential from it. That's is one reason i bought the memory in the first place.. that and with your suggestion in a earlier thread! http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66245

• Corsair Employees
They are compatible with the MB and if you were to over clock they would be a good choice, the memory configurator has them listed as an over clocked part so I do not know what to tell you other than maybe you missed that in your research.

Archived