Corsair Community

Interesting RAM issue

Hey out there, new to the forums but did some reading around and everyone seems to be fairly knowledgeable so hopefully I can get some insight here.

I've had my current setup for the last 4 months now. When I originally built it I purchased a 3GB set of the Dominator sticks rated at 1866MHz. Things worked like a charm. After tweaking my sistem a bit it was running stable 24/7 @ 3.8GHz with my RAM at 1950MHz and voltages were 1.38 and 1.6 respectively.

Last month, I decided to purchase an additional 6GB set of Dominators with the same ratings. Upon throwing them in I had nothing but problems. For starters I was not able to boot into windows with the new sticks added in, when my system was able to post that is. Assuming it was my settings I reset my BIOS to default but the issue remained. I decided to run a memtest on the new sticks and immediately got errors so I took them out and RMA'd them. Out of paranoia I ran memtest on my 3GB set to make sure they were ok and they passed with flying colors. During this time I did not have my system OC'd.

Two weeks later I get my new 6GB set and this time I threw them in by themselves and immediately ran memtest on them. They passed with no issue at all so then I ran them with the 3GB set in as well and they still remained stable. My motherboard defaults my RAM to 1066MHz due to my CPU, so after a few days of playing around a bit I decided to try to run them at the rated speeds using the XMP profile. As soon as I reset my system it refused to post. I checked the BIOS for any off settings and even manually changed my uncore clock to make sure that it was double the RAM clock and the problem continued. When I was able to post with those settings I would still get BSOD errors or just random restarts when windows was booting.

A friend suggested I run the new sticks individually to see if there was a problem with any of them. I started out at the mobo's default speeds (1066) and memtested each stick and all three passed, but when I ran them at their rated speed (1866) one stick gave me errors immediately. So I took all three sticks and RMA'd them again. I put my 3GB set back in and decided that I'd run them at their rated speeds while leaving the rest of my system at stock until I got my new 6GB set back in. But after a day of using my old RAM like this I was not able to post! When I did post at the rated speed I ram memtest on all three sticks and they passed but I would still get random BSODs upon windows starting up. I tried to up the voltage a bit on my motherboard, uncore and a bit on the ram itself (1.7) and was able to boot into windows but upon running prime95 would get BSODs. This was never a problem before I got my 6GB set as I had my 3GB OCd past the rated speeds and were stable around the clock.

So now as it stands I still have my bad set of 6GB as it is no longer eligible for an RMA through ZipZoomFly and my 3GB set will only behave if I run it at 1066MHz. I came to Corsair's site as suggested to request an RMA directly from them and ran across the forum so I figured I'd get some opinions before I went that route. Could the 6GB set have "corrupted" the 3GB set causing it to lose it's stability too? I can prime95 and memtest it all day at 1066 and it will be just fine but anytime I go higher than that it gives me issues that it didn't used to before. Should I RMA my 6GB set as of yet or give it another chance just to make sure it's not a user error... Any help at this point would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employees

In this case we only guarantee the memory to run at 1866Mhz as the Kit, but the second you add another Kit even though they match causes a lot of stress on the memory controller which causes it to crash or blue screen. To solve these issues best solutions is lowering the Memory frequency to 1600Mhz or even 1333Mhz. If you want you cant try these setting below:

Memory Frequency: 1600

Memory Voltage: 1.65v

TCL: 9

TRCD: 9

TRP: 9

TRAS: 24

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

QPI Core Voltage: 1.4v

Thanks for the reply RamGuy. I'll try those settings once I get home. I hear ya on the memory controller stress, but would that still apply with one set in? As it stands I've only got my 3GB set in and even though I was able to run it past 1866 stable I can't even run it at that speed now. Would it be possible that I might have damaged the memory controller by using both sets?

• Corsair Employees
The CPU you have I920 is rated at DDR1066 for memory and running one set is a hefty O/C for one set let alone two try setting the timings to Auto and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the QPI Voltage to 1.45 Volts if you have (D0) Stepping CPU and 1.7 Volts for all other Stepping and then set the memory frequency to DDR1333 and see if its stable.

Well Ramguy, seems you were right :)

I was able to get all six sticks running stable @ 1600. verified by two hours of both memtest 86+ and prime 95 stress tests. Valuable lesson learned indeed, don't be too demanding of an overclock.

It is reassuring to know that once I outgrow my 920 at least my ram will be able to keep up with my next upgrade. That is unless DDR4 becomes the standard anytime soon :sunglasse

Thanks again for your help.

Archived