Corsair Community

Placing memory into my motherboard results in my total system RAM going down

Kurakkon

Hi all,

First post and all but advance thanks for any help you can offer.

Today I took delivery of my new PC parts.

The problem i'm having is that the POST will only display/recognise up to 10GB. Whenever I put the final stick of RAM in, the amount of memory will drop by that amount, so with all 6 sticks in the system I only get a report of 8GB.

I've tried alternating the sticks between A B and C slots, to try and figure out if there's a fault somewhere and I can't get anything positive back.

Each stick in the mobo on its own correctly reports 2GB.

Can anyone please offer any help on what this might be? I've updated the mobo BIOS to the very latest version.

More research has discovered that it's only when a stick is placed into the A2 slot. With every other slot occupied I get 10GB but as soon as this slot is occupied, by any other stick I lose 2GB and only report 8GB.

This is maddening!

Hmmm. If I just put sticks into A1 and A2 the PC won't POST. Swapping the sticks between A1 and A2 makes no difference.

Even though my sticks are Triple channel I should still be able to use them in a single channel shouldn't I?

Quite worried that this looks like my A2 DIMM slot is busted...

• Corsair Employees
With 6 modules I would suggest DDR1066 or DDR1333 and see if it will post and see all of the memory, but if they all work one at a time but will not show in one of the slots then you may have a bad MB or Bad CPU.

There is no such thing as Single / Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single / dual / triple channel.

In otherwords, it sounds like it's the slot.

Archived