Corsair Community

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum w/ Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2-1066 Kit?

Naz

I am wondering if, it would be worth the investment to switch back to Corsair RAM on my new system...

I used to have an Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe, with an Athlon64 4000 and running Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO.

But I've since upgraded to a PhenomII 940 Black Edition; on an MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum; and chose to go with a competitors RAM instead of Corsair, at the time, because of price.

What I bought was, or is supposed to be PC2-8500 1066 DDR2; but I can't set it to that in my BIOS.

It seems, when setting the Ram to the proper 1066 settings @ 1:2.66, in the BIOS, this results in endless crashes while Gaming. But leaving the Ram settings in the Bios set at default, which lists 800... everything runs fine. It only runs at 800mhz according to the BIOS; though CPUz and Everest report it running at 533 x 2 and I'm told this is "normal" for 1066 DDR2 memory.

I was told, both by MSI and the RAM competitor, that this was because PC2-8500 Ram is not "real 1066" Ram, but is actually PC2-6400 overclocked to PC2-8500! They told me that all PC2-8500 Ram modules are like this; and that I have to keep "tweaking" the voltage and Timings to get it right.

Well, I've not ever been completely satisfied with the performance from this other Ram, I never managed to find the right "timings" that run it stable at the proper "advertised" voltage they list; and so just end up keeping it left at "default" settings in the BIOS. I have already RMA'd it back once with the manufacturer and had it replaced, and now I think I am getting memory error crashes in Windows. Random, intermitten crashes related to "memory paging file could not be written" or some such...

So, I loved my TWINX2048-3500LLPRO, and in fact am still using it on that Asus Board in a secondary system; and now I am wondering if I should switch back t Corsair.

I have an opportunity to pick up the Dominator 4GB DDR2-1066 Kit (T24096-8500C5DF) and I am wanting to know; can I set my BIOS to run it @ the 1:2.66 setting and not have endless crashes while Gaming? Am I going to have to sit there and tweak the voltage and timings to get it to work right?

Or will it run at the proper settings right out of the box?

• Corsair Employees
The MB and CPU should be able to run the memory at DDR1066 as long as you have the latest BIOS version installed. And yes the fastest Speed officially for DDR2 is DDR800 so they are correct in what they told you. to run the memory at DDR1066 you would need to manually set the memory frequency and timinsg and Voltage unless the MB support EPP Profiles.

Archived