Corsair Community

RAM CM2x2048 with different voltage specifications usable together?

H.Meier

Hello,

I have an older twinpack of CM2x2048-6400C5 modules (2*2GB) in my computer.

The label says that the voltage to be used is 1.8V. Now I have a second, newer

twinpack of the same type but here the label says it should be used with 1.9V.

My question: Is it possible to use both twinpacks with one voltage setting (I would

use 1.9V as bios settings)? Or should I try to get a second twinpack with 1.8V? Or

even a second one with 1.9V? Could this depend on the motherboard?

To summarize: Does Corsair guarantee that all four modules will work together

without any problems?

Thank you!

To summarize: Does Corsair guarantee that all four modules will work together without any problems?

Thank you!

Unfortunately no, we cannot guarantee that 2 different memory kits will run together. In this case, it may work but the only way to know is to install and test. Start at 1.8v. If the system is unstable the original kit will be OK at 1.9v.

Also, keep in mind that you are doubling the electrical load on your memory controller by adding 2 more modules. So, you may have to tweak your memory controller voltage a bit or drop the RAM frequency.

If you have any additional questions, you'll need to fill in your system specifications as requested at registration.

What do you mean with different memory kits?

Different with respect to different voltage specification or two different memory kits in general, even with the same voltage specifications?

Is there a higher chance that they work together with similar voltage specifications?

Thank you!

Hello,

I have an older twinpack of CM2x2048-6400C5 modules (2*2GB) in my computer.

The label says that the voltage to be used is 1.8V. Now I have a second, newer

twinpack of the same type but here the label says it should be used with 1.9V.

These are 2 different kits of memory based on what you have posted. I'm guessing they are different revisions? The revision number is on the sticker on each module.

Different revisions of memory cannot be guaranteed to run together. Also, 4 modules complicates the issue.

The sticker of the first twinpack says:

CM2x2048-6400C5 - 1.8V - ver 4.2

The newer one says:

CM2x2048-6400C5 - 1.9V - ver 4.2

Do you mean the version number with revision? Therefore, the revision would be similar?

I was wondering about the different voltage specification, the data sheet for this module

says 1.9V and I do not find any other information about a module with 1.8V.

Thank you!

• Corsair Employees

More than likely it is just a miss print on the modules label, but as Specmike had mentioned Twin sets are not tested 4 up so they may not run 4 up at the full speed and in fact we suggest with 4 modules:

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

More than likely it is just a miss print on the modules label

A miss print on the label? I would have never expected things like this from a company like Corsair...

Can you verify if a module like this with 1.8V was ever sold? Or could it be a fake? The printing is very different (thickness and size of the characters)

Thank you!

• Corsair Employees

I would need the Lot code off of the module and I doubt it is fake, have not seen a fake memory module to hard to copy and the PCB will have Corsair Stenciled on it. And it may take some time to research the information. (1-3 weeks)

And yes we have made this part as 1.8 Volts and 1.9 Volts!

(How To Read the Memory Label)

Archived