Corsair Community

Cannot OC 800mhz ram even slightest! on Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3R

Monkey King Stu

Mobo:Gigabyte EP45-UR3R (sorry that's UD3R)

CPU: e5200

RAM: 2x2Gb Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 800mhz (bought separately but same specs)

VGA: Sapphire Radeon 4830

PSU: Amacrox AX-500S

With all settings on default i can't seem to OC my ram even the slightest! I increase the cpu fsb to 201mhz for the smallest ram OC of 201x4=804mhz, but it won't boot to bios! Dram voltage is at 1.8v (CPUz says it's rated 1.8v, but manual says 1.9v, online there are both ratings...) but i tried even 2v and it still won't boot, i even tried increasing CPU Vcore and also the northbridge (MCH) voltage, but still nothing... i can't believe that this ram can't OC, there must be something wrong...

Since i didn't buy them as a kit is that a problem? i made sure they had the exact same specs, so isn't that like a kit anyways?

Thanks.

U seem to have completely misunderstood my post... I have no problems at all OC'ing the processor, it's the OC'ing the ram that's the problem...

I can run at 3.36Ghz stable, but even at default settings i can't OC the ram.

And also what's correct voltage for my ram, 1.8v or 1.9v?

I increase the cpu fsb to 201mhz...

now im confused, RAM FSB or CPU FSB?

also having 2x2 sticks is not like a quad kit. quads are tested together (all 4) so there are no guarantees here. 2 twin packs are not a good idea, too many problems.

did you try lowering the frequency to 667 as suggested? how about turning off speedstep and C1E?

the voltage requirements should be on the memory label. check all 4 though.

did you typo the board? i cant find UR3R just UD3R

now im confused, RAM FSB or CPU FSB?

also having 2x2 sticks is not like a quad kit. quads are tested together (all 4) so there are no guarantees here. 2 twin packs are not a good idea, too many problems.

did you try lowering the frequency to 667 as suggested? how about turning off speedstep and C1E?

the voltage requirements should be on the memory label. check all 4 though.

did you typo the board? i cant find UR3R just UD3R

:rolleyes: I guess this what they call ADD... :)

1) My Ram frequency is based on the CPU fsb x multiplier, so to get 800mhz i have the default 200mhz fsb x 4 multiplier = 800mhz, so the smallest possible ram OC is by increasing my cpu fsb to 201 so that 201x4=804mhz ram frequency which was already in my post...

2) I don't see how u got 'quad kit' from 2x2Gb... the first number is the number of pieces, the second number is the capacity per piece, so it's 2 pieces of 2Gb which would be a 'dual kit'. Although i didn't buy them as a kit, they are the exact same pieces with the exact same specs so i doubt that it's the problem.

3) Lowering to 667mhz was suggested cause of the misunderstanding that i was trying to OC the cpu, i hope u all understand that this is not the case...

4) Speedstep, C1E already turned off, Ram peformance boost option in bios set to standard for stability.

5) Voltage on label is 1.8v, but the .pdf file specs for this ram and other sites online (newegg) list it as 1.9v...

6) UR3R was a typo, sorry, this is UD3R (updated), thanks for pointing it out :)

Once again, this is not a cpu OC issue, this is purely a ram OC issue. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 +.2 Volts with GigaByte Volts then exit the BIOS and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

2) I don't see how u got 'quad kit' from 2x2Gb...

2x2Gb Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 reads as two 2 gig kits for a total of 4 sticks otherwise it would be a CM2X4096-6400C5 for 4 gig, 2x2gig means 4 gig of RAM (2 stick of 2gig per stick)

no ADD here, i took my meds this morning ;):

i didn't buy them as a kit, they are the exact same pieces with the exact same specs so i doubt that it's the problem.
if these were bought as single sticks they were never tested together at the factory and may produce unreliable results when put together.

Lowering to 667mhz was suggested cause of the misunderstanding that i was trying to OC the cpu, i hope u all understand that this is not the case

you cannot overclock the ram faster than the CPU. if your CPU is 800FSB you cannot clock the RAM to 801.

the E5200 with common SLAY7 stepping is an 800 FSB chip.

is that why its crashing?

• Corsair Employees
If they were purchased as single modules then you will want to test then as single modules and if you have problems with them together but not when testing in single modules I would suggest you lower the Memory Frequency to DDR667 or lower if you are over clocking the CPU.

OMG! I found the problem, it's the stupidest mistake by Gigabyte i think...

There is an option under the Dram bios section called Performance Enhance with 3 settings: Standard, Turbo, Extreme (must be tightening some hidden settings, i dunno) Turbo is the default settings, but it says that Standard will help with stability after an OC, so i've been testing on standard for obvious reasons! and it seems THAT'S the problem!!!

I set it to Turbo and i'm running at 930Mhz @ 1.9v :) Thanks Ramguy and everyone else for ur help!

Archived