Corsair Community

Windows 7 7233 and up won't install on SSD128GB

dk2463

Up to and including Windows 7 build 7232 x64, I've been able to clean install to my SSD by deleting it, formatting it and then selecting it as the install point during the install process. With 7264 and now 7600 this is no longer working. I am able to delete the drive, create new and format but then I get a message that Windows can't see a partition or volume to install to even though it's displayed among my choices of drives.

I now have to clean install with 7232 then upgrade which works fine.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

thanks

dk

7232, 7600,etc are the builds of Windows 7. I believe build 7600 is or will be very close to the final RTM of Windows 7.

The MB is a Gigbyte EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 with the SDD set to IDE and also set as the first boot drive. It's the exact same BIOS settings I've always had but suddenly, the drive isn't partitionable or addressable (although it's seen) by the setup DVD.

Please give a few more details and what is 7232? The Build of Windows? And what is the make and model of the MB? And how is the SSD set in your MB BIOS? Should be set as IDE!

• Corsair Employees

Can you test the drive on another system to see if it will work?

And or I would try to Boot with Windows XP CD and see if it will let you delete the partition and then Quick format it, if so then exit the setup and try and install Windows 7 again.

Thanks, I have plenty of work around options that I already know how to do, none of them solve the actual problem though and that's what I was hoping for.

It sounds more to me like something with the Windows 7 installer since it works with older versions. I was just hoping to see if this was reported from anyone else and if it's repeatable. Since the software is coming out soon I had thought Corsair would be a partner to MS and testing the software but it sounds like you're not.

Some folks will be in for a bad surprise come Oct 22nd it sounds like.

Can you test the drive on another system to see if it will work?

And or I would try to Boot with Windows XP CD and see if it will let you delete the partition and then Quick format it, if so then exit the setup and try and install Windows 7 again.

• Corsair Employees
If we were we would be held from talking about it or releasing any information until its official release. Sorry but there is no public information I would suggest you submit a Bug report to Microsoft ASAP and make sure that the HDD Settings have not changed in the MB Makers BIOS setup.

Thanks, I have plenty of work around options that I already know how to do, none of them solve the actual problem though and that's what I was hoping for.

It sounds more to me like something with the Windows 7 installer since it works with older versions. I was just hoping to see if this was reported from anyone else and if it's repeatable. Since the software is coming out soon I had thought Corsair would be a partner to MS and testing the software but it sounds like you're not.

Some folks will be in for a bad surprise come Oct 22nd it sounds like.

This sounds like a bug that some had during the Vista days. After you create the partition and W7 installation tells you that it doesn't see any valid partitions to install to even though you see it listed, simply reboot without changing anything and try to install to the same partition again. Don't delete and run through the same routine the second boot, just assume the partition is fine and try to install to it. Hopefully that'll work. If not...

Are you changing any default options when formating the volume? If you did in the past and you're only quick formating, then it's maintaining the old previous bad format. You may need to boot into W7, partition the drive and make it active, assign it a drive letter, full format the volume using default settings and finally reboot (the reboot is important). Boot off the W7 installation and see if it lets you install. If not, the next step would to be to redownload the W7 install DVD to rule that out as a possibility before tackling the more difficult variables.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like I may be having this issue as well. My vista is not performing very well, and I bought the 128 GB Corsair SSD and was going to install Windows 7 on it... but booting off the DVD it can see my other HDD's just not the Corsair. So I booted back into Vista - I can see it there, format, assign a drive letter, r/w, etc. Boot off the Windows 7 DVD... no Corsair drive.

Any suggestions? I have been DYING to get this bad boy up and screaming with W7 and am feeling frustrated as I can't find drivers to try to present during the OS install... but I'm fairly confident the drive is working properly as under Vista it appears to operate fine...

I filled my system spec in but it's a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6.

I'll check my MB but it automatically detected the drive upon boot and appears to have seen it correctly, and the fact I can see it in Vista and format/use it to me reinforced that fact in my mind. If neither OS could see it I would have gone down that path - but because Vista could and W7 could not I started looking around first for drivers, than to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I just downloaded Windows 7 on Friday night, and spent the weekend frustrated by the fact that W7 couldn't see it and I had no drivers to present to it to allow it to see the device. I've considered first re-installing Vista then upgrading but I'd much rather have a clean install on the Corsair if possible and have it "Vista free".

As what you can do on the partition screen is limited I couldn't think of any way to make W7 "see" the drive. I certainly appreciate ANY help that lets me get my drive into action as my bootable device for W7!

• Corsair Employees
Try the Install with a standard HDD and I had the same issue with that MB and just used another make of MB, I think they need to do a BIOS update but see if you can do the install with a standard HDD to be sure.

Archived