Corsair Community

Two dead RAM sticks.

About three weeks ago I had one stick of RAM die. I tested out the functioning RAM in the rest of the slots to make sure that those slots still worked and they did. Last night I had another stick die on me, so I did test the remaining slots. I had 8GB installed and now only 4GB remains.

I do not have a floppy disk or a CD drive in this computer at the moment, so I can't run Memtest.

One thing to note is, I got my RAM in two packages and one stick from each package is disfunctional. I've had this computer for about 7 months now and everything ran fine, so I really don't know why the RAM is dying.

So I guess one of my questions is that if one stick from each package died, would I have to send you guys all my RAM, or just the two defective sticks?

EDIT: Nothing in this computer is overclocked as I wanted leave it the way it was. Also the temperature inside the case registers around 30 degrees Celsius with the temperature wire sitting next to the CPU. The computer is still functioning normally without the extra RAM. I just don't want to go below 4 GB since Vista is a hog.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

The motherboard may or may not be able to run at 800MHZ DDR Frequency with 4 modules installed. Try the following settings and gradually increase the Memory Frequency to find the max stable frequency on Striker Extreme:

FIRST THING CLEAR CMOS!!

Load Setup/Optimized Defaults

Memory frequency at 667Mhz

Memory Voltage: 1.9v

NB Core Voltage: 1.40v (this is technically overclocking the motherboard and must be done at your own risk)

SLI Ready: Disabled

FSB Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

FSB QDR MHz: Default/Auto

MEM DDR MHz: 667MHz

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 18

Command Per Clock: 2T

TRC: 28

Let me know the results!

I'm kinda reluctant about overclocking it, but according to the links below, it says that it can support up to 8GB at 1066Mhz. Would you still like me to try this with the 4GB that I have left?

http://http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-m3n72-d-motherboard/4507-3049_7-33214026.html?tag=mncol;psum

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4244473&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

• Corsair Employees
Not with 4 modules and not with mixed sets, please try the settings I suggested, with Two modules only the MB will support DDR1066 with a phenom CPU but with 4 modules or more than 4 Ranks of memory IE 2 Double Rank modules DDR667 or DDR800 would be suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, those two sticks actually work. I tested them in my friend's computer. I still need to do what you suggested, so if I have time, I will try tomorrow or Monday. I'm pretty stumped now. >_>

Anyways, thanks RAM GUY. I will keep you updated and check back here when I can.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not sure why this is happening. The two dead RAM sticks worked in my friend's computer, but they will not work in mine. I have 4GB in right now and I swapped a working stick for a stick that I previously thought was not working and it would not boot. I put the working stick back in and voila, it boots.

Archived