Corsair Community

2 x CMX512-3200C2 XMS & Athlon64

younggotti

im using 2 X XMS 512 3200 C2 in my Asus K8V SE Deluxe and it is fine. safe timings to begin would be 2.5-3-3-6 but i imagine you can tweak those down a bit, those are two nice boards you chose and the end decision should be on what features your after, althow if your after a quiet board stay away from the abit. Rob

I chose MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R and 2x XMS 512 3200 C2 too but my system doesn't run with this configuration. I can use only one of the RAM modules - not both together. Now I'm going to buy 1024MB DDRRAM Corsair PC400 TWINXLL. It's recommended by Corsair to use this RAM with the K8T Neo-FIS2R (=> [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/MSI-1203.pdf[/url] ) and as RAM GUY told me they tested this configuration in their labs.

hey loki what exactally happens when you try to use both 3200 C2 modules? does it post? errors? or what, i cant see why they wouldnt work, i had 2, and one had a PC2700 SPD chip (pre 2003 made), which meant on my board it would only run at 166, and meant that both modules together run at 166 but they were fine otherwise. also i would recommend the TWINX 3200LL over any other Ram for this board, you will not reach a high enough FSB to take advantage other the PC4000, younggotti, yes they will also work on the MSI board, and i would say try Cas 2.5 when you set the system up for troubleshooting purposes, and then try lowering to Cas 2 when u know everything is ok, and there would be no other variables to cause errors in memtest. good luck all. Rob

ok sorry still not clear to me, does it boot fine with EITHER module as only module installed or is one in particular giving you problems? and when they are both together are you using slots 1 & 3? Rob PS also what did u mean buy you are going to buy PC400? PC4000? because the recommended Ram for your board on that guide you link to is either 3200 C2 or 3200LL.

Yes - it boots fine with EITHER module as only module is installed. I tried every slot combination but got always the beep code message "Early chipset intialization". Well the RAM I am going to buy is TWINX1024-3200LL - just typed the wrong specification, sorry.

what are your full system specs? im wondering how close to the limit of your PSU your running. borrowing one to try couldnt hurt. also when one module is installed does it pass four passes of memtest or are there errors? if they both pass without errors then the problem would seem to be elsewhere. Rob

[quote name='LoKi|GER']I chose MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R and 2x XMS 512 3200 C2 too but my system doesn't run with this configuration. I can use only one of the RAM modules - not both together. Now I'm going to buy 1024MB DDRRAM Corsair PC400 TWINXLL. It's recommended by Corsair to use this RAM with the K8T Neo-FIS2R (=> [url]http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/MSI-1203.pdf[/url] ) and as RAM GUY told me they tested this configuration in their labs.[/QUOTE] I've found at a good price only the XMS 512 3200 C2 :sigh!: They should be these: [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx512-3200c2.pdf[/url]

nothing wrong with those mate, ive got two myself :) maybe cant run as tight timings as the LL but if the price is substantially differant, how much are you willing to pay for that last little bit of performance? with two sticks i think you will be running 2.5-3-3-6 as the slowest settings and that aint bad. Rob

just had a look at the prices i can get them here, C2 and LL are about the same at £90 for 512MB, C2 Pro is £96 and LL Pro is £146 for 512. so if you can get non-pro LL thats your best option, if you can only get Pro then C2 is far better Value. Rob

[quote name='LoKi|GER']Actually the system doesn't even boot with both modules installed. It just beeps and the beep code tells me about "early chipset initialization". However - only one module installed works perfect![/QUOTE] I get exactly the same as this on my System : Corsair Plaitnum XMS Low letancy Cas 2 512MB 400mhz ECC ram with the Gigabye KA8VNXP (VIA K8T800) Either sticks work, together nothing (all slot combinations tried) The bios has only dimm voltage settings :no timings

• Corsair Employees
BigFishy If you have our "RE" mopdules they will not work in a socket 754 AMD 64 system. You would need to use un-buffered memory with this CPU. I would suggest Twinx1024-3200C2 and use slots 1-3 and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts!

Archived