Corsair Community

Second Failure in three weeks

I have a set of 2 CM2X2048-8500C5D that was replaced just three weeks ago. After the three weeks, I began to have BSOD failures on the 5th. With lots of swapping and memtest running, I have one stable module and the second gives me a BSOD after just a few hours of running. It records failures in Memtest, but not every time.

With the stable module in place (same slot by the way) I have been stable for 24 hours. I can't get more than four with the other module. After a BSOD, I get failures on that module on reboot every time.

Hard to believe that I received two bad modules out of four purchased, but I don't know of another explanation. It costs me $10 to return the bad memory, so I'd like to think that one more time would end my frustrations

• 1 month later...

At the end of my rope!

I am reopening this thread because I continue ton have problems and hope that you can help me isolate the problem.

I am on my 4th set of memory modules. (One bad out of the box)

In every case, I go about three weeks without a single problem, then the BSODs begin and I cannot get more than 4 hours without a crash.

I do not have a heat problem (CPU temp around 32 degrees C, Motherboard around 40 degrees C)

I have the same problem with two different OS on two different drives so I'm pretty sure that this is a hardware problem.

Upon failure, running Memtest is not very helpful. Immediately after crash, I usually get a whole screenful of red. If I do a cold boot after about 5 minutes or so, I get failures on tests 3, 4, and 7. If I leave the module out of the system for a few hours, Memtest runs many passes without any failure, and resumes crashing after starting the OS.

The above is for module #1. I am trying the same test on module two tonight to see if I get the same results, but I thought I'd go ahead and post to see if anyone had a suggestion for further testing.

I am not overclocking. I am running Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 RC1 on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard. Plenty of power according to the websites I check (650W)

My RMA on these modules was 1109960. (Do they test the returns?)

An update to the previous post.

After running Module #2 for 7 hours, light stuff, mostly just idling, Firefox and Outlook became unstable. I rebooted and ran Memtest and got 100% failures, just like on Module #1. I'm back on module #1 now and up and running for a little while. This sure seems like a heat issue, but the three week period with no problems each time I change memory just mystifies me.

I see other posts here with similar problems to mine. The posting by Tvis sounds like the same problem that I am having.

• Corsair Employees

In this case best thing to do is have them replaced, but if the problem persists I would suggest that their is something else causing this issue.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I've talked to Customer Service and they are sending new RAM. Is there anything that I should do different this time rather than just plug it in and wait for three weeks to see if it fails? Remember this will be the fourth time that I've been through this process.

One thing I would try is testing each stick on each memory slot. Possibly maybe you have a bad Dimm slot?

I can give that a try, but usually everything works great for about three weeks before I get a failure. Last time, one module worked fine in all slots while the other failed in all slots, so I don't think that is the problem. Are there any settings that I can try that will stress the memory less and possibly stop the seeming overheating?

• Corsair Employees
Maybe your motherboard or something is causing your memory to overheat. I would suspect if the issue happens again to have the motherboard replaced as that might be the cause why so many memory sticks are burning out?

I am having the same exact problem as Bob_Taylor. My set up is a bit different than his, but the exact same problem. My system works great for about a week and poof, BSOD start happening. I have to take the RAM out for a while and put it back in, then it works fine again. I have recently tested each stick by itself in different slots and come out with the same problem with the blue screens.

I have run Memtest86+ each time and I get a wall of red errors after I reboot the machine and run it. It's pretty quick when the errors start stacking up on the screen.

I run the 2x Dominator Kit with the CM2X2048-8500C5D model sticks of RAM. I've been battling with this for a while now (maybe a month) and hopefully we can both get some answers on why the RAM is doing this. I'd rather not waste time returning 3-4 pairs of RAM, due to the fact I use my computer for work and personal use on a daily basis.

edit: I've even tried tweaking the BIOS settings to match the 2.1v setting that the RAM can use, but that didn't work either.

• Corsair Employees

Usually when memory overheats its should die. Never heart about memory overheating then after they cool down working again. Did you replace the memory with other memory and it worked without any issues? These are only symptoms I've seen from the CPU or the chip set on the Motherboard.

Try testing each stick one at a time following the instructions below:

1. Head over to http://www.memtest.org

2. Click on the link labeled "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)"

3. Next click on the link labeled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"

4. Download the software and Unzip the program files

5. Make sure a floppy disk is inserted

6. Run the program, when it asks which drive letter type in "a:"

7. Program should finish writing, reboot off floppy disk

8. Allow memtest to run 2-3 passes, one module at a time

I hope these instructions help you! Please let me know what happens!

First crash at 11:15 today. Dammit!!!

I had several Foxfire crashes prior to the system crash. I immediately restarted and haven't run Foxfire and it is now 5:00 and no additional crashes, so far.

The other bothersome thing that I am experiencing is that I get random usb disconnect/connect sounds. Everything seems to be working, All I have plugged in is the wireless keyboard/mouse; 1 external hard drive; and two hubs on my monitors (nothing connected to them). I have attempted to upgrade the Intel drivers to 9.0.0.1009 but Windows tells me that it cannot find a better driver in the location where I unzipped the files.

The only hardware left is the Power Supply which has good voltages and the Video Card. I'm beginning to wonder if this memory is just not compatable with this board even though it is listed in the QVL.

• Corsair Employees

In this case might not even be a memory issue.

To properly figure out if the problem is the memory or not, you should run memtest and inform me of the results.

Here are the directions you can use to run memtest:

1. Head over to http://www.memtest.org

2. Click on the link labeled "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)"

3. Next click on the link labeled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"

4. Download the software and Unzip the program files

5. Make sure a floppy disk is inserted

6. Run the program, when it asks which drive letter type in "a:"

7. Program should finish writing, reboot off floppy disk

8. Allow memtest to run 2-3 passes, one module at a time

I hope these instructions help you! Please let me know what happens!

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the latest results. Both modules run multiple passes on Memtest without errors, however, 1 module runs faultlessly in all slots while the other gives BSODs after a few hours, in any slot. I'm leaving town tomorrow for three weeks and the PC will be off, so I can be sure of no crashes for a while, anyway.;):

Archived