Corsair Community

TX-750 problem?

cold

Alright.

Started a new build over the 4th of July weekend. everything went all fine and dandy. installed windows, flashed the bios, installed all of the drivers.

after that, i just let it run. i was with it for over two hours. then, i went outside (cutting down a tree), and when i came back, the computer had shut (itself) off.

restarted it, and it went on for a couple minutes and got to the desktop. after that it shut off suddenly for no apparent reason. no bsod. just off.

so i left it alone for a little bit (researching online to find out why), but for some reason it turned itself on and shut down after about 5 seconds. now it will do this after it shuts down.

i can manually turn on the computer, and it will be fine for about 5 minutes. i can access both the desktop and the bios, and it will still shut down unnexpectedly in each.

it is not overheating. i have taken care of that.

as i had posted in another thread, i initially suspected it to be a psu issue. i brought it to a friend of mine who is a local pc repair guy. he quickly tested it (he was really busy), and said it was a little funky. voltages were slightly off and it was missing a -5 volt line (which i now know is not an issue).

so right now i have narrowed it down to the memory and the psu, with my main guess being the psu (the tx-750). the memory is g. skill, but as per the rules it is a different companies product and so i will not disuss it.

so my question is: are the random shutdowns and start ups a sign of a faulty psu? or is it something else?

I have essentially the same problem as cold. It doesn't seem to be temperature related, as it will shut off regardless of how long the computer has been on. I think it might be a loose connection in the PSU. I tried turning the computer on earlier, it got to desktop, ran for about 2 minutes then shut off. Then it would randomly turn itself off and on in intervals ranging from 3 to 10 seconds. Also, if I rock my tower from side to side, the computer will start booting up.

You two have the same motherboard, I'd say the problem is more likely there.

interesting.

could be. tippy, when the computer turns on, what POST code do you get? how about the LED debug? i would be more than happy to continue this over pm

it isn't a heat issue. the case has excellent airflow, and when i am running it with the side off, i still have fans pointed at it. even switched back to the stock amd cooler (it seems to be pretty good, temps hover around 40) in case it was a heatsink issue.

interesting.

could be. tippy, when the computer turns on, what POST code do you get? how about the LED debug? i would be more than happy to continue this over pm

it isn't a heat issue. the case has excellent airflow, and when i am running it with the side off, i still have fans pointed at it. even switched back to the stock amd cooler (it seems to be pretty good, temps hover around 40) in case it was a heatsink issue.

Don't know about the POST codes or the LED debug, but when I turn it on, if it stays on long enough it always beeps 5 times, 4 quickly, one after a second or so.

beep beep beep beep

beep

just like that, every time. Not sure how helpful that is, but that's

EDIT: Ok, I unplugged my HDD and turned it on and the beeps changed from 4 quick 1 after a pause to 2 quick 1 after pause. Plugged the HDD back in and beeps are still 2 quick 1 pause. Debug LED goes through all its codes, some aren't in manual, has no problem loading the OS. Computer still shuts off after a minute or two.

EDIT #2: Ok, I think I fixed the problem. I apparently overtightened the screw in the lower right corner of the motherboard and it was bending the mobo near all the power switches and whatnot. I loosened the screw a bit and bam, problem fixed. The beeps are back to normal, no random turning off and on, and everything works as it's supposed to. Cold, I recommend you check to make sure you're not bending the mobo near all the power buttons.

Archived