Corsair Community

question regarding a dual channel motrherboard and corsair ram

italia30

i have an asus A7N8X-E DELUXE motherboard,which is dual channel,it says it holds up to 3GB of ram,i already have a corsair xms 512 dual channel set,i have one mem slot open,can i buy another stand-alone corsair xms 512 chipset and bring my system up to 1GB???????

• Corsair Employees
You would be able to buy another module with the exact same part # of what you have now to bring your system up to 1 gig. You may need to manually set the timings in BIOS if the REV of modules that you get are different. Let me know if you have any issues. Thanks!

in my computer now is a TWINX512-3200(2 CMX256A SET),the stand alone chip i want to ad is part#CMX512-3200,both the dual channel set i have now and the 512 chip i wanna ad are rated at 200Mhz at 3-3-3-8,u said something about the timing in the bios,if i need to do that,can you tell me how.thanks.

should i just buy the 1 CMX512-3200 chip and drop it in the open slot and see what happens??its just weird that i have a dual channel mother board and it only has 3 mem slots,they usually have 4,so you can ad another dual channel ram set.im assuming the A7N8X-E DELUXE has 2 mem slots for dual channel mem,and a third slot for a single channel mem stick.what is the worst that can happen if i add the single channel 512 in the 3rd slot??im a novice with computers,i have some knowledge,but not enough to fix problems with the bios and change settings in there.

• Corsair Employees
The nForce 2 chipset will on see 6 banks of memory, that is the reason it only has 3 slots on the board. You will still be able to use dual channel operation when using 3 sticks on that MB. You should have no problems using all 3 modules on that board.

Archived