Corsair Community

Asus P6T SE compatibility with TR3X6G1333C9

dejavu

Hi,

Does anyone know if Asus P6T SE will detect with Corsair XMS3 memory without changing any settings in the bios?

The reason I'm asking is because mine does not. The memory I'm using is in the QVL list of the motherboard. Before I had Corsair I tried a different ram of a different brand and I had the same problem. I'm wondering if the timings, voltage or other settings needs to be changed before it detects the whole 6GB instead of 4GB. The weird thing is that only the A1 slot does not detect memory.

Here are some things I've already tried:

Reseating the CPU

Check the CPU and mobo's CPU socket for bent pins (none)

Reseating the memory modules (switched the A1 module to B2, then it does detect 6GB, but in dual-channel instead of triple channel)

Tested memory modules with "Memory Diagnostics Tool"

BIOS Update to the latest

BIOS memory settings (voltage, freq., timings) all set to the memory default, not auto.

The last thing I tried it sending the mobo RMA to check if the mobo is faulty/DOA. The technician tested the mobo and reported that the mobo is working fine. He tried with some other memory (not Corsair) a set of 3 modules with 1GB each in triple channel. And according to the technician he also tested all slots.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

The core i7 CPU is rated for 1066MHz memory, anything beyond that is considered overclocking and you would need to manually set the settings. Here are the settings which should be manually set in your BIOS:

First load setup defaults in the BIOS

Memory Frequency: 1333MHz

TCL: 9

TRCD: 9

TRP: 9

TRAS: 24

Let us know if you have any problems!

Thanks for your reply.

The settings you described are the ones I currently use. I also have my QPI/DRAM Voltage to 1.25 and DRAM Bus Voltage to 1.5 as you recommended it to someone else a few threads newer than this one. The problem still exists.

I've done some research yesterday and it looks like my graphics card was using 2GB memory (not sure if it took some from my system memory, the graphics card has 256MB internal memory) when I have my system memory in triple channel setting (showing 4GB system memory). When I switched the A1 slot memory to B2 (B1, B2, C1 dual channel and correctly showing the 6GB system memory) it showed that I had 3GB video memory. Maybe the motherboard or CPU memory controller has problems controlling the memory correctly.

The graphics card I'm using is in my profile. It has the Hyper memory technology which means that it will utilize system memory when needed. The thing is.. does my system allocate the memory to the GPU even when it doesn't need it? Because in triple channel I do lose 2GB system memory, but in dual channel I don't lose any system memory, but according to the ATI Catalyst Center and Windows it "allocated" more memory than when I have my system memory in triple channel.

• Corsair Employees
The memory on your video card will have memory addressing space allocated to it but it will not actually use any portion of your physical RAM. If each memory module is detected properly when tested individually and you only have problems when running all three together in triple channel mode then I would suspect the problem could either be with an individual DIMM slot on the board or possibly the memory controller on the CPU.

I'm thinking the same. But the tech person from where I bought this motherboard told me all slots were working fine. The problem is that he used a different brand of memory to test it. I'm not sure if that would make any difference.

Also the memory controller does see all memory when running in dual channel mode. Even if the memory controller is faulty, would it still detect all ram in dual channel?

• Corsair Employees
It is certainly possible. If you have the option I would test the memory in a different system to see if you can duplicate the same results or if the problem stays with your system. If thats not an option then we can try replacing the memory for you. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

It's been a while, but I'm back to post results. First I would like to say that I have all 6 GB memory running fine now in triple channel on my motherboard.

I couldn't do the things you suggested, because I didn't have any other system I could test my ram memory on and I don't live in the USA so I couldn't RMA it either to Corsair through the online RMA request form. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Here are the things I have done to make it work (including the things from my first post):

Test the memory plus slots with memtest86.

Use the 4+4 pin power connector instead of the 4 pin connector on the motherboard

Reseating the memory modules again; This time I made sure I put the modules in order of product number

Unplugging the sidefan(s)

This time when I reseated the modules I turned my case around so it was laying on my table horizontally instead of vertically, which is normal for towers. After a boot with the newly seated modules I went into the bios and saw a total amount of memory of 6 GB! Then shut down my computer and turned it back up and booted thinking it would still be detecting all memory. But it turned out it wasn't and went back to 4 GB. After this, I was almost certain that it's the CPU that is not totally connected to the motherboards CPU socket. Finally I just moved the case back and tried not to move it too much when I put it back in the original position. Now it's stable and is detecting all the memory currently plugged in, and I won't be touching the case anymore until I do maintenance or upgrade it.

I hope this post will help other users who are experiencing the same or similar problem as I do.

Thanks for the help RAM GUY! :D:

I couldn't do the things you suggested, because I didn't have any other system I could test my ram memory on and I don't live in the USA so I couldn't RMA it either to Corsair through the online RMA request form. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Did the form limit you to USA addresses? Reason being, there's a Corsair RMA within your country (worldwide warranty).

Hello,

This time when I reseated the modules I turned my case around so it was laying on my table horizontally instead of vertically, which is normal for towers. After a boot with the newly seated modules I went into the bios and saw a total amount of memory of 6 GB! Then shut down my computer and turned it back up and booted thinking it would still be detecting all memory. But it turned out it wasn't and went back to 4 GB. After this, I was almost certain that it's the CPU that is not totally connected to the motherboards CPU socket. Finally I just moved the case back and tried not to move it too much when I put it back in the original position. Now it's stable and is detecting all the memory currently plugged in, and I won't be touching the case anymore until I do maintenance or upgrade it.

Thanks for the help RAM GUY! :D:

Is this really a SOLUTION? sounds like the CPU is not seating properly with the MB??? With all the problems i am having with my build i just posted in another thread, this is an interesting post as it can explain my problem as well since the majority of issues i have had is when my tower is in the normal (vertical) position. I am surprised you would leave it at this - sounds like the MB is faulty?

Archived