Corsair Community

8 GB pack @ 1066 Mhz?

wickette

I'm totally disgusted with this Striker II Formula board. It says you can run 3 video cards in SLI and can run ram 1066 up to 8 GB, when this board was bought. Now after all the money was dumped into this board they go NO you have to run the ram at 800 not the 1066. So we waste money does Asus care hell no they already sold the goods and we get no help in setting that ram to what it was advertised at.

Im about ready to through this in the trash and leave Asus for good due to this. Man I have over 3k in this dang board.

I know that there are some that are running this at the 1066 at 8 GB but for the life of me I can't find where they showed exactly how they got there boards to do so. Many out there saying and show they have it set and stable but I cant find the spec's on how and what they have it all set too.

I did buy Viper ram from Patroit for the first time but I need to stay with Cosair ram and need to know what ram will run this in 8 GB in 1066 settings.

OR if we have to use 800 ram in 8 GB will this be stable, before I go buying new ram.

Thanks for the quick answer guess I should just drop down to 800 vs 1066 I did get 1066 with all 4 but it only runs for a few hours b4 I go LD in WH. Then Crashes

Is 6400 ram slower then the 8500 or visa versea!

• Corsair Employees

PC 6400 = DDR800

PC 8500 = DDR1066

Just about every motherboard will be able to run 2 memory module at higher speeds than when you have 4 installed. The issue is that with 4 modules there is 2x the stress/load on the memory controller and the board will often lose stability when running at overclocked memory settings with all 4 slots populated. In some cases you can overclock the board in order to stabilize the system at higher speeds, but you would need to do that at your own risk.

Thank you Ram Guy

I think until I opt out on trying to mess with the 1066 until I buy another upgrade to build a whole new system. That will be when my husband starts yelling his system is too slow then he gets my old stuff and I buy new. He wouldn't know the difference anyways as I build the systems he just uses them.

Lets use the 800 if that is what I can safely run 8 GB in Vista 64. So what you suggest. Thank You

Found this is it ok to use then would it be easier to manage!

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model Q2X8G6400C4DHX

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to Asus on the phone and asked them about the 8 GB and why did they say it would do the 8 at 1066 timings..(Yes, I was PO'd) due to the money factor and there advertisement.

They had a guy in the lab try Twins 2X 4096-8500 C5DF they said it would work. Before I jump out and buy this memory is it true for being stable or am I wasting money again.

I am not opposed to buying a different CPU to get the most out of this board. I do know I am running ram that works but is not the best for this board. Its to late for me to return it as I've had it to long. In the past I have always used Corsair and should have just stayed with what I know works. My fault and apologize.

Thank You Ram Guy.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry about that but mixing memory is hit and miss and never would we suggest it. We have posted this many times with using more then one set of modules.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived