Corsair Community

P128 and VBM18C1Q FW

Thanks Wired, that is what I suspected - and probably the reason why ZipZoom Fly had a $40 rebate so as to shift the old stock. I waited 3 weeks after the supposed 1st July date (date that retailers were getting the new firmware drives) but got the old one it seems. Oh well, $285 may not be too bad- I may just wait it out for the TRIM update that Samsung will issue in October/November....

RAM GUY,

What are the official differences between the VBM1801Q and the VBM18C1Q firmware?

I've read all the thread/posts here and the various reviews elsewhere that mention the self-healing (or garbage-collection) feature of VBM18C1Q. Can you officially state whether that is true? Are there other differences as well? I don't think I've seen any official statement from Corsair on the issue. The only reasons I bought the P128 were because it had both reasonably comparable performance to other SSD drives and it had the self-healing function.

Because I just bought a retail P128, I was expecting to receive the latest firmware; however, I got stuck with VBM1801Q. Since there is no consumer-available firmware updater, can I send the drive to Corsair to have it reflashed?

• Corsair Employee

What are the official differences between the VBM1801Q and the VBM18C1Q firmware?

That information has not been made public At this time and I am sorry I do not have the answer. However, there are no issues with either version that I am aware of and I do not expect Samsung to release a Version update any time soon. Maybe in September or October or they have mentioned on another site there would be an update by the release of Windows 7, according to the other web site. But we have had no conformation of that from Samsung Directly!

I've read all the thread/posts here and the various reviews elsewhere that mention the self-healing (or garbage-collection) feature of VBM18C1Q. Can you officially state whether that is true?

No I think some may have misunderstood the information that was posted on that site. This is a feature of the Firmware and controller and has been implemented since version VBM18C1Q. They may have improvements to that feature with newer Firmware versions.

But here are some links doing a search that may help asnwer some of your questions!

Windows 7 specialized for SSD

SSD Market Update From Samsung

Are SSDs Good for Gaming?

can I send the drive to Corsair to have it reflashed?

No not at this time but we are working with Samsung on a solution and will post it ASAP. But please note if that is the solution any data on the drive will be lost and I would suggest if you do that the drive be formatted with a Quick format.

RAM GUY,

Thanks for the info. So it seems that the P128 has the self-healing feature, regardless of which firmware it is running. This might be good information for your SSD FAQs thread, since it appears to definitely be a Frequently Asked Question around here.

Also, since my original post on this subject, I read on another site that Samsung is close to releasing an end-user version of the FW updater. Let's keep out fingers crossed!

I hope that Samsung and also Corsair knows thats its better for their good reputation to deliver all owners of an Pxxx drive with an new Firmware adapted to Windows7 and other technical enhancements of newer firmwares.

This is already an important theme for all owners or buyers of such drives i saw.

I still hoping that Samsung an Corsair do so.

• Corsair Employee
I hope that Samsung and also Corsair knows thats its better for their good reputation to deliver all owners of an Pxxx drive with an new Firmware adapted to Windows7 and other technical enhancements of newer firmwares.

This is already an important theme for all owners or buyers of such drives i saw.

I still hoping that Samsung an Corsair do so.

As I have stated if there is a reason to update the firmware we will provide one but at this time there is no reason I am using Windows 7 now and have not seen any problems personally. But like I have also stated there is not a lot we can do until Windows 7 has been officially released.

I think, NEVER a new Firmware would be released if there's no reason to to that.

My P128 i bought brand-new at 22.July has an old Firmware (VBM18O1Q), even at this time. This i could not see in store. There's no information about the Firmware on the sealed box.

This old Firmware doesn't does not have built in 'TRIM'-Support for Win7 which i will use and it has not have the accurate 'self healing algorythm' as the now actual firmware VBM18C1Q.

You are right, NORMALLY firmware updates on hardware are not much important - but this updates on this SSD is important.

I spend much money on that drive and i want tho have the same performance and comfort as any other user who had the luck to get a newer one firmeware - or if a new firmware comes with WIN7.

I bought this drive because of its 'TRIM' support and because of the 'self healing functionality'.

Paolo64,

Can you tell me where you determined definitively that the VBM1801Q firmware does not have an accurate self-healing algorithm? I thought I understood RAM GUY's answer to mean that all P128 drives have functioning self-healing.

I've read the same reviews as everyone else and, yes, it did seem to me that the reviewers indicated that self-healing was a new feature of the new firmware. Now I'm just confused.

• Corsair Employee
I would as I have suggested wait for the release of Windows 7 I am sure that more of these questions will be answered soon. But at this time there is little I can do except wait for the updates.

@ExEngineer, there's two, tree reviews i read so, for example (the last, in german).... http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/laufwerke/2009/test_********_europe_2_corsair_p128/7/

Maybe there is one but it must not have the same algorithms as that one in the second firmware - don't care at the moment. I think this sector of SSD's is new and there will be done much work to improve the associated software-mechanisms.

On of the things, just there, is that samsung doesn't make public the contents or improvements of their SSD-firmwares.

I agree with Ram Guy that we should not worry about at this time. I hope that, arround the time Win7 is starting in Oct., there will be an possibility that we can flash the last firmware - and - the P... is an great drive.

p.s. link: between "test_" and "_europe" you have to insert m.u.s.h.k.i.n without points

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
flashing means destroying all data , i'd rather have the firmware now so my ssd is ready for win7 on release rather than waiting an indefinite time for the firmware to appear. if it ever does

I do agree with you but I am sorry to say that is just not possible at this time.

EDIT: The only option would be to do an RMA on the drive to update the firmware.

If you want to do that please send me an email with your contact information and drive part number and I will arrange it for you.

Please note that all of the Data on the drive will be destroyed!

I think all manufacturers should boycott the Samsung based drives in order to put pressure on Samsung to get their act together and release a firmware update tool and Trim support.

The indilinx based controllers seem to be more aggressive in this area.

I wouldn't blame Corsair, although their support seems to be lacking - eg they have just got SSD's listed in their technical support, however even with the Extreme series they seem to be lagging behind the competition as there is no update tool listed either....

I was peeved that my P128 was the older firmware, even though I bought after 6/30 but I would be happy if Samsung released their firmware update tool.

I think, if it is possible to be done, that Corsair should offer to update peoples firware on the Samsung drives.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry I would not be able to comment on that, other than to say the Samsung Product line has great performance and is one of the least buggy SSD Solutions and not using it would be a mistake in lieu of other options that are available unless you went with our performance series drives. But I do understand your position.

Bottom Line if you want Trim support or that is the requirement then go with our Extreme series drives other wise if you are not using Windows 7 or do not need Trim support IE any other O.S. then our Performance Series may be the best option. Both have great performance and either would work great in almost any configuration.

Ram Guy,

Thank you for all your responses. You have made it clear, at least to me, about the Trim and the firmware. SSD buyers and users (including me) have been somewhat spoiled by at least two of the other high end manufacturers/distributors who have produced Trim programs and firmware updates. I know that we will see them from you as soon as you can make them available. It will be a good thing - for everyone! Thank you for your Trim explanation above. At least that gives people choices.

I am not worry about samsung controller ssd. Been using macbook air with ssd for almost a year with no slowdown on my ssd (apple also use samsung). I tested with xbench and the result is almost the same as a year ago. So i am not worry about ssd performance. Apple never release newer firmware for its SSD (i believe because it doesn't need to).

Actually if the performance only decrease like 5% - 10% we won't notice it at all in real world. Just imho ;):

• Corsair Employee
If there is no issue with the drive performance I would not worry about it, Samsung has told us they are working on a update utility a few weeks back but we do not have any updates on that utility ATM. If you should start to see problems we can do an RMA and have you send the drive to me directly and I can get the firmware updated to the latest version, BUT PLEASE NOTE if you do that all of the Data will be erased on the drive.

Archived