Corsair Community

Buzzing sound coming from PSU-just started happening...

Burner27

I recently purchased a Corsair HX850 and all was well. I moved from one house to another (1st house was 30 years old and had an updated Fuse Panel with 150amp service) to a 15 year old house (that has 200amp service) and I just noticed there is now buzzing sound coming from the unit. Whether the computer is powered on or not, and it is plugged into my UPS (when it is switched on), I have a constant buzz (not the alcoholic kind ;) ) coming from the unit.

I assume this is normal? My previous PCP&C TurboCool 850 never exhibited this behavior--that I can remember. Is the unit working properly with this buzzing happening? Am I running a risk of damaging anything with this buzzing?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
I would suspect the power source at your new location isn't as clean as the old location. Many times, the clicking/buzzing noises come from the PFC filter circuitry or components used in the AC-DC conversion process, and these components all can react differently based on how clean the power source is. A unit that performs silently here in the lab may buzz or click in a house with older wiring, or a room with a failing battery-powered UPS, or any number of other things.

So the PSU is ok then running with that buzzing sound or should I do something about cleaning up the power source.

One bit of information i omitted:

I have had it on now for over an hour and it has not done one bit of buzzing. Could it have been something to do with the fact that my UPS has been off for 9 days (not plugged into wall outlet) and it was charging at the time I noticed my PSU buzzing? It has been charging for over a day now without the PC being on it.

Just a theory.....

ugh, the buzz is back. I tried going directly from an outlet and the buzzing is still there. I even tried different outlets. Is my PSU defective?

• Corsair Employee

If you like, we can certainly get the PSU replaced for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I do not suspect the issue is with the PSU and the buzzing shouldn't be harmful at all to the PSU.

I asked for an advanced replacement but their customer service rep told me they do not have any in stock until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week!!! Boooo!!!!

Oh, well. Patience is a virtue I guess.

RAMGUY--what magic can you work with this??

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Burner27,

You may find this article informative. Also, read through the comments at the end of the article:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/05/29/msi-solves-the-nvidia-gtx-squealing-problem/1

I am not sure if this card is available yet, but something you might want to look into.

EDIT: I see a user Burner127 and Burner27, are these the same user? Burner127 you have a GTX260. What graphics cards do you use Burner27? I linked to an article concerning the nVidia GT series of cards, which may or may not concern Burner27 as I do not know what graphics card Burner27 uses. Burner27, please provide your full specs.

We are the same user.(Burner127 & Burner27) My specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe

Processor: Intel i7 920

Memory: 12GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8

Video Card # 1 EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked

Hard Drive # 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB

Hard Drive # 2 Seagate 1TB

Hard Drive # 3 Seagate 1TB

Hard Drive # 4 Seagate 1TB

Hard Drive # 5 Western Digital 1TB

Optical Drive # 1 Samsung SH-S223F

Optical Drive # 2 LG GGC-H20L

Power Supply: Corsair HX850 850w

Case: Gigabyte Aurora

Monitor: Samsung 226BW

Operating System: Vista 64bit

Hello Burner127,

We are the same user.(Burner127 & Burner27)

OK.

Did you read through the sticky at the top on this Power Supply forum concerning Buzzing power supplies and try some of the suggestions in that sticky thread?

Did you read the article on the site that I linked too? The link I provided was to suggest that maybe purchasing another graphic card that was specifically engineered to solve this issue might be at hand. Again, I am just trying to point out that this might be a possible solution.

Hello Burner127,

OK.

Did you read through the sticky at the top on this Power Supply forum concerning Buzzing power supplies and try some of the suggestions in that sticky thread?

Did you read the article on the site that I linked too? The link I provided was to suggest that maybe purchasing another graphic card that was specifically engineered to solve this issue might be at hand. Again, I am just trying to point out that this might be a possible solution.

I understand you're trying to help and I do appreciate it. I have read the sticky and have tried the possible solutions but they have no helped. I read the link to the article you posted and I do not have the cash to go out and purchase another video card to solve this issue. I will have to learn to live with it as long as it doesn't do any damage to my PC and all the components in it.

That's what I am trying to determine. I do not believe it to be the PSU as I have received my RMA replacement (which was a brand new sealed box--YOU ROCK CORSAIR!!) and it does the same thing. I am trying to determine where the noise is coming from. I have been reading and suspect either bad fans, video card (google this and you will see what I am talking about) or motherboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i have the same problem aswell, but my case is like that.

I can only hear it when my PC is turned off, and when there is absolutetly no sound noise from outside. (like midnight, i can hear it when i sleep tho...) So basicly its very silent, i actually dont know if it does that while the PC is on, but it does that when my PC is off... i had that same issue with my older PSU (Coolermaster M520) and i didnt have any problems on any component/performance or whatsoever... So there are 2 cases

1: It seems to be normal (since my mobo uses a bit of energy to light up sum leds that it has (MSI P7N SLI Platinum)

2: The power source is not clean enough, and the PSUs filter makes a bit noise..

I am not an expert on PSUs at all, just my theory....

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased the Corsair HX850W PSU and I can say that mine too buzzes when the computer is on and off. My last PSU was a Xilence 700W which I had to replace because it failed spectacularly with a loud pop and lots of smoke. However, it was silent and had no buzzing whatsoever.

My problem is very similar to KronosG. The buzzing is intermittent and is noticeable, even whilst the computer is on. I have read the solution about disabling Intel speedstep in the motherboard BIOS, but I don't think it will help because the buzzing occurs when the PC is on and in off state.

I would like to know whether I should be concerned with this buzzing and if it needs to be RMA'ed? Or if it's something I will have to live with? I do not want to go through an RMA process to only find that the new replacement exhibits the same symptoms.

Thanks.

I can guarantee this buzzing is coming from the PSU. I've even put my ear next to exhaust vents and it is the PSU. Since you have already gone through the RMA process, I feel that it'll be a waste of time for me to do the same...

Now I need some reassurance that this buzzing is only NOISE and not something that will hamper performance or life span of the product.

• 1 year later...

Hello Guys,

I have a Corsair HX850 .... and it buzzes. Before this I had a Coolermaster Silentpro 850w it was buzzing too. So I got it replaced with a Corsair HX850 yesterday. It performed quietly all night.. and just after a few minutes of Modern Warfare2 it started to buzz. Now its silent again. I am at a loss. I have been assembling Computers for half of my life. This is the first time I have had two psu's from 2 different vendors buzz on me. XD Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Guys,

I have a Corsair HX850 .... and it buzzes. Before this I had a Coolermaster Silentpro 850w it was buzzing too. So I got it replaced with a Corsair HX850 yesterday. It performed quietly all night.. and just after a few minutes of Modern Warfare2 it started to buzz. Now its silent again. I am at a loss. I have been assembling Computers for half of my life. This is the first time I have had two psu's from 2 different vendors buzz on me. XD Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Based on your post, it's most likely either coming from your AC power source or caused by your GPU.

Based on your post, it's most likely either coming from your AC power source or caused by your GPU.

I have a feeling you are right about AC power source. I have noticed that it will only buzz during a certain time of the day. If I power down the system and skip say.. 1hr eg. power down 5am and power back on at 6am. There will be no buzzing :p:

Maybe these new ATX PSUs are really sensitive to AC noise. Its my first 80+ PSU experience ;):. Those regular cheap PSU can probably tolerate more AC noise. :confused:

• Corsair Employee
Maybe these new ATX PSUs are really sensitive to AC noise. Its my first 80+ PSU experience ;):. Those regular cheap PSU can probably tolerate more AC noise. :confused:

You hit the nail on the head, high efficiency PSUs in general are more sensitive to the input power than lower quality units. This is the main reason why buzzing issues have become more prominent over the last few years as more PSU manufacturers try to get their PSUs to meet higher and higher efficiency ratings. This is not always the cause for buzzing, and we would be happy to try replacing the PSU if you would like to try that. You may want to try testing your current system on a different circuit in your home, or test the PSU in a different system to see if you can narrow down the issue. If all else fails then go ahead and Request an RMA.

Archived