Corsair Community

Problem OC with new Corsair RAM

GetenJoki

Hello.

I have a quite strange problem. I have had my processor clocked to 3600MHz for a good while now with 2 1gb kingston ram.

I heard that overclocking is harder with 4 sticks of ram i decided to purchase 2x2GB of corsair memory.

Since i installed the new ram i cannot get my computer to post when overclocking over 3250MHz (250x13).

When i reinstall my old ram things is back to normal and i can easily overclock my cpu to 3600MHz again.

I emailed Gigabyte but they had nothing to say and simply told me to contact you.

I have reset the CMOS a couple of times and updated the bios to the newest available.

Many thanks / Joki

• Corsair Employees
When you change your hardware components you may need to start your overclock from scratch. Higher density modules may put more stress on the chipset and you may need to tweak some chipset voltages to get the system stable at the same settings. I would load setup defaults in the BIOS and test the Corsair memory at its tested settings (800MHz, 5-5-5-18) and see if you can duplicate the same issues without the CPU overclock.

Hello, thanks for the answer.

I have cleared the cmos and resetted everything to stock.

Even if i set the ram to 400, HT link to 1x, cpu multi to 5x, ect ect and only overclock the HT reference clock (to about 250) i still get the same problem. :confused:. I have no idea if it is the moatherboard or the memory that is causing this.

why would you set the HT to 1 and the multi to 5?

thats way low and unnecessary. start at stock speed and settings and go up from there.

with the settings so low you are prolly overvolting the CPU for such low speeds.

how does it run at stock with everything set to auto?

Im setting it so low because then i know nothing is holding me back. I have already tried to overclock from scratch and it is not working, thats why i tried this way and found out it has something to do with either the mobo or memory.

probably the memory because of my other kit works fine.

ok, narrow it down.

set all defaults and make a boot disk from http://memtest.org and test 1 stick at a time at default settings and see if the RAM is indeed troublesome :):

Damn this sucks.. Been trying to get it to boot over 250 for hours now but no luck.. It ended up with me chaning the RAM back to my old kit. Looks like i am going to return this kit. :mad:

• Corsair Employees
No, i did not se how that would help as the ram is stable at stock freq.

If you have the same problems with both modules when you test them one at a time in the same DIMM slot, then there is something else holding you back. It would be extremely unlikely that both modules would either fail with the same exact problems at the same time, or that both modules would only overclock to the same exact specifications even when testing them individually.

Well, have tried now 2x1GB ******** ram - clocking is fine, running stable at 3600

have tried 1x512MB corsair ram 667MHz - clocking is fine, running stable at 3600

have tried 1x1gb ******** ram 800mhz -clocking is fine, running stable at 3600

have tried 1x512mb ******** ram 667mhz -clocking is fine, running stable at 3600

i put these two in and i cant even clock over 3300mhz?? I mean, there must be something wrong with the memories?? Gigabyte says its the memories fault.

Have tried them 1 at the time in each slots and two at a time in diffrent slots but nothing is working.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived