Corsair Community

RAM still failing after RMA

corp28

I recently RMA'd my RAM and received replacement sticks. The replacement sticks worked without a hiccup for ~a month before I began re-experiencing the same problems I had before. (Random BSOD's/kernel panics after a few hours running and errors in memtest after a few hours) While before I could run the RAM at all the specified timings (2.1V, 1066Mhz, 5-5-5-15) I can now no longer lower the row precharge time below 6 (though, after reflashing the BIOS I was able to run at 5-5-5-15 for a day before I had to raise the timings again)

At this point I'm thinking the motherboard is at fault but I'm still not completely sure. Is there any chance the replacement RAM could have been bad or should I apply for an RMA of the motherboard?

• Corsair Employees
It is unlikely two sets go bad in a row without something causing this issue. Have you tried running each stick by itself and use memtest to see what kind of results you get?

Yeah, I've run each stick alone with no errors (though I haven't tested them solo for longer than a single pass of the default tests)

Is there any chance heat is an issue? I ruled this out after running both memtest all night and a prime95 blend test for 18 hrs after I first received the replacement sticks without either having an error (though the processor does sometimes hit 60C while running p95 :sigh!:)

Edit

I should add that I have 2 120mm fans and 1 80mm fan blowing across or near the RAM so I think they stay relatively cool)

Archived