Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D on Asus P5E-WS Professional

fluxuator

I currently have my Dual TWIN2X2048-8500C5D RMA'd and am waiting for my replacements... But having a single module die on me raised my concerns that perhaps I may not be using the correct settings for this MOBO...

Can anyone else who runs TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and has a Asus P5E WS Professional board recommend their settings?

Fluxuator

The settings are on the label of the memory itself.

If I wanted a troll to invade my thread I would have asked for you by name and saved myself the time of creating a thread and just PM'd you directly. I know what the timings are for this RAM 5-5-5-15-2T (2.1V). I didnt ask for timings did I. I asked for Settings.

Fluxuator

im interested in seeing the extent of help you get after calling an admin a troll.

perhaps if you were more clear since settings and timing are usually the same regarding RAM.

i cant believe you called Wired a troll...wow!

Believe it. Read my post again; Who mistakes settings for timings? and vise-versa? My mobo is quite clear on the term.

Fluxuator

timings fall under the category of settings. (you "set" the timings)

this is a RAM forum, so settings and timings are synonymous in this area.

if your motherboard is much clearer on the term might i suggest you seek assistance from your motherboard's help forum.

timings fall under the category of settings. (you "set" the timings)

this is a RAM forum, so settings and timings are synonymous in this area.

if your motherboard is much clearer on the term might i suggest you seek assistance from your motherboard's help forum.

That I understand and agree upon; What I am attempting to ascertain is whether or not I need to make any further adjustments to my settings minus the timings... This is not the first time such an inquiry has been made.

That I understand and agree upon; What I am attempting to ascertain is whether or not I need to make any further adjustments to my settings minus the timings... This is not the first time such an inquiry has been made.

I am looking for something as detailed in this thread but for an Asus P5E WS Professional.

Fluxuator

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual

CPU Ratio Setting : 9.5

FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333Mhz

FSB Frequency : 400

PCIE Frequency : 100

DRAM Frequency : DDR2-1066Mhz or 800 with 4 sticks

DRAM Command Rate: Auto

DRAM CMD Skew on Channel A : Auto

DRAM CMD Skew on Channel B : Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A : Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B : Auto

DRAM Timing Control : Auto

DRAM Static Read Control : Auto

Ai Clock Twister : Auto

Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : 1.32500v

CPU PLL Voltage : 1.50v

FSB Termination Voltage : 1.12v

DRAM Voltage : 2.10v

North Bridge Voltage : 1.31v

South Bridge Voltage : Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage : Auto

CPU Voltage Damper : Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference : Auto

North Bridge Voltage Reference : Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

i got these from another forum so please try at your own risk as i have not done so myself.

without asking for the specific info you later indicated, i initially was going to answer your OP the same way.

not to get into an argument about it but i do think name calling an Admin is deserving of a retraction if you wish continued support from other folks here with way more experience with Corsair products than me just cutting and pasting from another forum.

no its not a threat, but you do attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

/.02

• 1 month later...

After receiving my RMA'd memory I installed and set the following config Under the AI Tweaker section:

[Ai Tweaker - Menu]

Ai Overclocker Tuner		= Manual
CPU Ratio Setting		= 09.5
FSV Strap to North Bridge	= 333MHz
FSB Frequency			= 333
PCIE Frequency			= 100
DRAM Frequency			= DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Command Rate		= 2T
DRAM CMD Skew on Channel A	= Auto (Greyed Out)
DRAM CMD Skew on Channel B	= Auto (Greyed Out)
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A	= Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B	= Auto
DRAM Timing Control		= Manual
CAS# Latency		= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay	= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# Precharge		= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# Active Time	= 15 DRAM Clocks
RAS# to RAS# Delay	= Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time	= Auto
Write Recovery Time	= Auto
Write to Read Delay(S)	= Auto
Read to Precharge Time	= Auto
DRAM Static Read Control	= Auto

Ai Clock Twister		= Auto
Transaction Booster		= Auto
CPU Voltage			= Auto
CPU PLL Voltage			= Auto
FSB Termination Voltage		= Auto
DRAM Voltage			= 2.10 (Purple)
North Bridge Voltage		= Auto
South Bridge Voltage		= Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage	= Auto

CPU Voltage Damper		= Auto
CPU Voltage Reference		= Auto
North Bridge Voltage Reference	= Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum		= Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum		= Auto

Now today marks the 1 month timeframe I've had the memory installed and so far I've had several BSODs that point to memory being the issue. Each time I've got these BSODs I immediately power off the system, flip the PSU power switch, pull the power cable, wait for the 45 seconds, put the power cable back in, turn the PSU power switch on, reset bios to defaults, turn off USB completely, test memory using memtest86+ 2.11, and get within 7-10% into the total test and have atleast 3000 errors.

At this point i power off the system again, repeat the above power flushing procedure, and then proceed to test each DIMM in each slot seperately. Amazingly ALL pass; however I did notice when I have a single DIMM in slot 1 and 2 memtest86 see's it as DDR3, yet place the DIMM in slots 3 or 4 and its DDR2 (just an observation). After testing all 4 individually, in each slot, I then install all 4 modules and test again, and no errors....

Now today this same thing happened to me: BSOD, tested and listed 3000+ errors within 7-10% of testing in memtest86+ and I followed the above procedure and everything then tested OK; the only change this time is I did not use the above settings and instead changed:

To:

Ai Overclocker Tuner		= X.M.P Profile #2

I dont know why its #2 it was the only one listed, but, now because I'm using the profile everything is now "Auto"

That being said: is there a deeper problem here such as this Asus Motherboard possibly being the culprit and killing my memory modules? And why after a BSOD am I getting so many errors, yet, after testing the modules individually and then again as Dual-Interlaced does everything test OK?:confused::confused:

Fluxuator

I think i may have discovered my own problem here... I just had another BSOD incident and decided to flash my BIOS back to the original shipping bios... VER 0603. Prior to flashing the old BIOS I ran memtest86+ and got the errors, then after flashing back to the old BIOS, they were no longer there...

In flashing the old BIOS back I lost the following options:

DRAM CMD Skew on Channel A	= Auto (Greyed Out)
DRAM CMD Skew on Channel B	= Auto (Greyed Out)
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A	= Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B	= Auto

I wonder if that was the problem all along :roll:

So here is my final config:

[Ai Tweaker - Menu]

CPU Ratio Setting		= Auto <yes i switched from 09.5>
FSV Strap to North Bridge	= 333MHz
FSB Frequency			= 333
PCIE Frequency			= 100
DRAM Frequency			= DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Command Rate		= 2T
DRAM Timing Control		= Manual
CAS# Latency		= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay	= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# Precharge		= 5 DRAM Clocks
RAS# Active Time	= 15 DRAM Clocks
RAS# to RAS# Delay	= Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time	= Auto
Write Recovery Time	= Auto
Write to Read Delay(S)	= Auto
Read to Precharge Time	= Auto
DRAM Static Read Control	= Auto

Ai Clock Twister		= Auto
Transaction Booster		= Auto
CPU Voltage			= Auto
CPU PLL Voltage			= Auto
FSB Termination Voltage		= Auto
DRAM Voltage			= 2.10 (Purple)
North Bridge Voltage		= Auto
South Bridge Voltage		= Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage	= Auto

CPU Voltage Damper		= Auto
CPU Voltage Reference		= Auto
North Bridge Voltage Reference	= Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum		= Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum		= Auto

Here's to hoping this helps someone else out there...

Fluxuator

*sigh* I woke up to a Windows login prompt and when I attempted to login, i got a BSOD, so I decided to just run memtest and hoping there be no errors... there were... lots of them... within %1 of the test there were 20000+ and then memtest froze... I turned off the PC, pulled the power cable, jumped in the shower, came back, plugged the cable back in, ran memtest and NO ERRORS :confused: ... I checked the Event Logs and saw the following BUGCHECKS:

1st at 2:06AM:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xaf51a613, 0xaf45953c, 0x00000000).

2nd at 6:38AM:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x8f437008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8052390d)

Gonna look more in depth when I get home from work.

Fluxuator

How many modules are installed and what slots do you have them in? Have you tried moving them to the other two slots?

4 modules installed total; there are only 4 slots available on the board. When I was testing each module independently I would place the modules back into the system in reverse order. Please note that ALL modules that I received back from the RMA are identical in part # and serial # and version #.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Done and Done... Memory currently testing now...

[EDIT] I should be more clear... flushed system power, loaded BIOS defaults, used settings from POST ID # = 411875 and changed:

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800MHz

North Bridge Voltage = 1.27v (lowest setting was 1.25)

And Disabled Legacy USB only.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

100% passed no errors; duration was 35minutes exactly.

CPUZ lists the following for the Memory:

DRAM Frequency = 400.7/8 MHz

FSB:DRAM = 5:6

CAS# Latency (CL) = 5.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 5 clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 5 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS) = 15 clocks

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 52 clocks

Command Rate (CR) = 2T

DRAM Idle Timer = Blank (Greyed out)

Total CAS# (tRDRAM) = Blank (Greyed out)

Row To Column (tRCD) = Blank (Greyed out)

[/EDIT2]

You would add .2 Volts to this setting if MCH is not listed so default is 1.25 then set it to 1.454 Volts with 4 modules.

Yup; will make those changes... so will I never be able to run the memory at 1066 without my system going haywire?

Fluxuator

Archived