Corsair Community

A7V600 and XMS 400Mhz Ram

alexpia

I recently bought the A7V600 Asus motherboard and I am having some problems with it. I have gone through two motheboards so far and the third one is on its way. The first motherboard that I got turned its self off because I think of a bad CPU heat sensor. The problem got worse as time went on. After trying to mess with BIOS settings it finally got so bad that the computer couldnt even POST before the MB shut down the system. That moves us to motherboard 2. This motherboard seemed fine in BIOS and never shut down in BIOS. The CPU temp reached a max of about 130 degress F. But when I tried to install Windows XP it would shut its self down right about when the GUI was about to start for the windows instalation. I called ASUS tech support and they said it was either the motherboard, the RAM, CPU, or the power supply. I tested the RAM and the power supply on my dad's comp and they worked just fine. When I tried to switch out RAM in the system that I was having problems with it just up and died. It no longer posted or did anything. After looking through ASUS' webpage I noticed that Corsair XMS memory is not listed as been tested with the A7V600. I know the ram is good but I was wondering if their were any know issues with Corsair XMS memory and the A7V600. My comp setup is as follows: Athlon 3000 A7V600 motherboard Corsair XMS 400Mhz 512mb ram stick I have RMA'd both the motherboard and the CPU and will be getting replacements on Tuesday if all goes well. I really want to stick with this board and I dont want to have to buy new memory. So any help would be grate. Alex Pia

Well I am not toally sure but there is a little sticker on the stick and this is the info from it: CMX512-3200C2 XMS3200v1.1 023353 Thats all the info I have. Its been a while sence i ordered the ram and i dont know the exact model number.. Hopefully that will help. Alex Pia

In BIOS please set these timings: Memory Interface - 100% CAS - 2 RAS to CAS Delay - 3 RAS Precharge - 3 Cycle Time (tRAS) - 6 DDR Voltage - 2.7x Then run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] for at least 2 preferrably 3 full passes. Let us know how that goes. However, something you should know, with AMD systems, running the memory out of sync can cause system instability and a data bottleneck. This means if your 3000+ has a 333FSB, you should run your memory at 166MHz/DDR333 and [b]not[/b] DDR400. That's why you set the memory interface to 100%. PLUR CK

I mean that my 3000 has a 400Mhz FSB. Also another question. At idle in BIOS my CPU was heating up to about 130d F. Is this a problem? Because AMD website says that the 3000 can operate between 0 and 85d C. And 85 degrees Celsius equals 185 degrees Fahrenheit so I would think that my cooling is ok as it is right now but I want to be sure. Thanks again. Alex Pia

Well I found the problem... its was the motherboard all along.. Anyone out there who reads this message DO NOT UNDER ANY CERCUMSTANCES buy an A7V600 MB. I have been through 3 of them and they all gave me the same problem. The system would just shut down for no apparent reason. I tried 2 CPU's, differnt ram stick, etc. and nothing would work. But when I switched to an MSI motherboard all my problems desapered. I dont know what the MB didnt like about my system but something caused it to always shutdown. My powe supply worked fine on another PC as well as the one I am using right now, my ram worked fine on another system as well as the one I am using right now, my CPU worked fine on another system as well as the one I am using right now, my video card worked fine on another system as well as the one I am using right now. I would avoid the MB at ALL COSTS. I have paid for shipping on 3 MB's and they all did the same thing, shut down at low CPU temps for no reason. DO NOT BUY THIS MB!!!!

Archived