Corsair Community

Memtest at rated speed HOW??

spirited

Exactly what is the correct way to test my DDR3 at the top rated speed? (see my system specs)

It seems I have to overclock the cpu for the ram to run at the max rated speed.

Forinstance I have the cpu running stock 2.8 and the ram voltage set at 1.8 and the speed set at 1600.

I boot into memtest and its says speed is ddr 400 not 533

I have to overclock to bring up the ram speed as seen in these pics.

Not only that but i have to use wierd timings like 15.5x206 instead of 16x200

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewimage/6345834667-1246176120-29936/preview/14122099/page/1/15

I also loaded version 3.5 but different oddities are there too.

I'd actually like to run a 3.2ghz OC with my ram running at top speed, stable of course. How to achieve this balance.

Also there is this CPU/FSB ratio of 1:4, isnt a 1:1 ratio the desired direction of the final outcome?

If so how to I equal out this ratio?

regards

Gord

Hey Wired

I'm looking at your system specs.

pretty darn close to the platform i just left.

I really like this ddr3 platform after trying out ddr2 for a week on asus m4a78-e

asus k8vse deluxe

3200 athlon 64 socket 740

x800xt AIW

2gb dual channel

enermax 465

etc etc

• Corsair Employees

This memory is tested at an overclocked spec and you would need to manually configure the settings in the BIOS. Please make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard, load setup defaults in the BIOS and then manually configure the following settings:

Memory Frequency: 1600MHz

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

CAS Latency: 9

tRCD: 9

tRP: 9

tRAS: 24

I would then test the memory modules one at a time in the same DIMM slot to make sure you do not have a single memory module causing the errors.

This memory is tested at an overclocked spec and you would need to manually configure the settings in the BIOS. Please make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard, load setup defaults in the BIOS and then manually configure the following settings:

I would then test the memory modules one at a time in the same DIMM slot to make sure you do not have a single memory module causing the errors.

I have had those memory settings in the bios already.

I havent tested the sticks individually yet. I will today.

• Corsair Employees
If you are setting the proper settings in the BIOS then there is no way that the memory itself could take over control and override your settings. It sounds like your BIOS/motherboard is not saving your settings properly.

OK

My ram was in slots 3-4 because of my heatsink.

I tested single stick slot 3 then slot 2 (I cant access slot 1 without removing the HSF)

The bios seems to work correctly, if there is a failure of some sort it loads some sort of defaults and makes you go into the bios. I have never had a problem that way.

The correct programmed speeds show in the following grey screens.

I re-entered the bios twice before each time of the 4 or so operations i ran to ensure the settings were retained before running memtest, I ran 2.11 and 3.4 and 3.5 and 3.5 SMP You can see the memtest version in the screenshots, the speeds and ram amount (1 stick or 2)

memtest reported a couple varying speeds depending on the slot.

In slot 3 it reports 468mhz DDR936

in slot 2 it reports 312mhz DDR624

this is just one of the pair so far.

Further cpuid reports 4 SPD settings, none of which are 1600mhz.

and then the 1600 speed its running at on another realtime tab.

Is that normal? not to have the 1600 speed in the SPD settings?

I'll post more screens in a moment at the previous URL use mouse over pics to review comments

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/6345834667-1246176120-29936/parm/page/1/15/

• Corsair Employees
There will only be 1600MHz listed in the SPD when the part is either SLI or XMP ready. The values in CPUz look correct, are you still getting errors in Memtest, or is it just not detecting the correct values?

This memory is tested at an overclocked spec

Yes I showed those screens since my default trials showed me a low ram speed like I have resubmitted in the screens, as i said i had to OC the CPU to bump up the ram speed. It seems like the CPU has to be running at about 3.2Ghz for memtest to show the rams speed as the value were trying to prove.

There will only be 1600MHz listed in the SPD when the part is either SLI or XMP ready. The values in CPUz look correct, are you still getting errors in Memtest, or is it just not detecting the correct values?

Well I didnt run memtest for long for a couple reasons...

I dont have alot of machines :)

I'll do it later tonight since it took 5 passes for the previous errors.

I'm quite certain that running at default with memtest reporting these low speeds it wont error, lets face it the speeds are low and the ram isnt being taxed. Whats the proper length of time? for me 6 hrs error free is stable enough.

If I run it (OC the cpu to appr3.2) so memtest is reporting that its running at 1600 then it will run for about 5hrs and error.

Hey, this memtest program is the one recommend as a testing tool, surely it reports consistant values that you consider a baseline no?

I also realize were talking DDR3 is that a factor in how these programs do their work and being fairly new while the release version of memtest 2.11 is a couple years old?

• Corsair Employees

Please do the following:

Load setup defaults in the BIOS and manually configure the following:

If the system boots up and allows you to get into Windows, check the "Memory" tab in CPUz and make sure that your settings are correct, CPUz will list the actual frequency of the memory so DDR1600 will show as 800MHz in CPUz.

If the settings are listed correctly in CPUz then shut the system down, remove one memory module and test the remaining module with Memtest86 2.11. Once testing is finished remove that memory module and reinstall the other one into the same DIMM slot. Allow Memtest to run 2 full passes on each module and please let us know the results.

You will get one of three results:

One works and the other fails

Both fail

Both pass

Please let us know which results you get.

Hi Ram guy

thx

I see your an avid cyclist as well :) I have an old Apollo

OK overnight I tested the memory with both sticks in setting the bios as you asked, EXCEPT I bumped up the CPU clock to get the ram speed higher to rated speed. Otherwise at default CPU clock memtest said ram was running at 940 or some speed.

Memtest said RAM SPEED 535 1070 DDR and it went thru 9hrs-14 passes with no errors. CPUID shows the correct speeds and timings.

I will further time the single sticks later tonight.

My question..

should memtest show speed 800 and DDR 1600, not 535 and 1070?

All these numbers are getting confusing. :)

• Corsair Employees
Memtest may not have been updated since your motherboard and CPU have been released and it may not be reading the correct setting information. I would check the values in the BIOS and CPUz and if they are the same, then I would go from those readings. Memtest should still be accurate in testing the memory, its just not displaying the correct values for your settings.

Archived