Corsair Community

GB GA-K8NNXP with CMX512-3200C2PRO

NinjaKid

Hi, I have been having lots of problems with my system when I play games that are in 3-D. The main problem I get is that after playing a 3-D game for a few moments the system will lock up and make crazy sounds and when I reboot I get a Microsoft error report saying that there was a video loop error. I have replaced my Video card 3 times with different cards and that did not fix the problem I have also changed my power supply just to be sure it’s a Antec 550watt true power supply, nothing has fixed the problem. In trying to trouble shoot the system I took out one memory chip and when I did that a lot of programs failed to start or load they were coming up with all different types of errors. When I took the memory chip out and put the 2nd chip in everything seems to work fine so I assume I might have a bad chip. Also when I checked the memory certification for this Motherboard the CMX512-3200LL chip is certified and not the CMX512-3200C2PRO which I am using. Is there is a big difference between these 2 models of chips and can the whole problem be I am using the wrong type of chip or is it just a bad chip that I have?

I have run the tests and do not get any errors if they are in pairs or one by one. I just find it funny that with one chip some programs fail to load and with the other they work, Together the system loads all files but does crash with 3-D programs, But the crash happens with 1 chip as well so I am now starting to think the mother board might have a problem.

Yup I did the Shift F1 combo and new setting show up. I went into advanced and set DIMM settings to Manual and these are the optons that came up: CAS# Latency RAS# To CAS# delay MIN RAS# active time ROW Precharge time Refresh Period right now they are all set to auto since I have no idea what they should be, I have seen most people say to use 2-3-3-6 but I have no idea where these settings would go.

Sorry, I saw it earlier, but had an organic chemistry exam... These settings are for one module of CMX512-3200C2PRO: CAS# Latency - [b]2[/b] RAS# To CAS# delay - [b]3[/b] MIN RAS# active time - [b]6[/b] ROW Precharge time - [b]3[/b] Refresh Period - [b]auto[/b] PLUR CK

• 1 month later...
I used the recommend settings and the problem is still there. My only guess is that the problem is a bad mother board or the memory just won’t work right with this mother board. If I had a way to try the recommend memory I would but I can’t exchange it now and I’m not going to spend another 400 to buy different memory just to test this.

• 4 weeks later...
The warranty only covers replacing memory with the exact same type of memory. With the stick that causes it to crash, have you tried it in multiple slots? If possible, it's recommended to try that memory in a different system and/or different memory in this motherboard. Swapping with a friend is the easiest way to do this.

• Corsair Employees
You can ask your reseller if they can take these back, but that would be up to their return policy! We would however, be happy to replace them if you like, but only for the same part# that you send in! Sorry! For the RMA if you like, please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them!

Well they wont take them back for a exchange because I have had them a few months now which has been spent trying to troubleshoot the problem. A few weeks for the video card and over a month for the motherboard. The memory shows no errors when I test it so I dont think the memory is bad so a RMA I don't think will help, Guess I will have to try and sell this memory then buy the other memory or another certified brand and see what happens.

• Corsair Employees
Please don’t take this the wrong way, as it's just a suggestion, as I have been in your position many time's before! But, I would suggest you try another MB maker with the same hardware! Here is why! 1. If you sell your modules, you could stand to loose more than 50-100 dollars! 2. If you do get other memory it may not be our quality and personally no matter that I am who I am, I would go for the best memory! 3. I think if you try another makers MB with the same chipset or even like KT800Pro chipset you may find the hardware you have is not the issue and would cost about $100.00 for a new MB for AMD64 socket 754! the risk is about the same money wise but you still have our modules, not to mention you might be able to find out what the problem is! I think if you look around you can find several MB's at a reasonable price that you may even find a friend that may have another Mb that can help you test the components with to see what is really causing the problem. But bottom line I have no problems replacing your modules at any time should you still have problems, just there is no way to know that it might be some other problem not the MB or the memory! So testing with another system would really help to isolate the problem!

Well I have to agree with a new motherboard but then again after looking at hardware reviews on 754 socket boards it seems that all 754 boards have major problems with memory. So going to another board with this memory may cause a no boot problem then I would still have to change the memory to get a memory chip that has been certified for the board. I have not seen the CMX512-3200C2pro memory listed as certified on any of the 754 boards that I have looked at. So now I would have the risk of getting a different mother board and praying that it would work. I might still be better off to sell off this memory and get a pair of memory that has been certified to work. I might lose 50 bucks now but if I buy another mother board for 100 then I still have to change the memory then I am out 50 bucks plus the cost of the motherboard. Either way it’s a lose lose situation. For now I have changed the mother board for the same type, changed the Video card with ATI and NVida brands I changed the power supply to a higher spec and reinstalled the OS the only factor left is either memory incompatibility or CPU problem. I would bet on the memory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Have you tried to RMA any of this hardware? And have you tested our module in another MB? Bottom line if our modules will not run in an approved platform we will be happy to replace them! If you want to try that please follow the link in my signature!

Every piece of equipment other then hard drives and power supplies and memory have had a RMA, I replaced the power supply just in case it was that as well. I have tried ATI and NVIDIA video cards. The problem has always been there. The memory when I ran memtest shows no errors. If there is a problem with this motherboard and the memory I do not know. But here is something I just tried and I have a big improvement under the current tests I have done which has been a Zero crash in 2 days and I don’t know if people know about this or not but here I go. 1) I found an updated unified Nforce3 driver on the NVIDIA website which is much newer then the drivers on the giga-byte site and I installed it. 2) I found an AMD64 CPU patch for Windows XP located on the AMD website so I installed that. The results so far have been Zero crash with 3-D Games which I have played for a few hours the last 2 nights, before the upgrade I would crash after 10 mins of play. I will post a update on how this goes after a few days but until then other owners who have problems with AMD64 systems might want to try these updates and patches.

Well it has been a bag of mixed results, While the games to run better and longer the crash does come back as before the only diffrence I see now is, The games play longer but now I get more Video loop errors then I had before when using normal apps so I'm back to square one.

• 5 weeks later...
After going nuts with this system I decided to dump the Gigabyte board. I just put in a Asus K8N-E MB and did a re-install and the system is 100% stable, I have been playing some Hardcore 3-D programs and there has not been any signs of trouble what so ever. I have to believe the problem is some sort of problem with the GA-K8NNXP board and the memory. I have heard many people complain about problems with the board so it seems to be a factor.

• Corsair Employees
At least you are up and running then. And I hear what you are saying, but can't comment for obvious reasons. But honestly all MB makers from time to time will have a dud! And I have seen some who had trouble with ASUS or ABIT or whom ever and went to Giga-byte and solved their problem. So I would have to assume you maybe just had a bad board!

Archived