Corsair Community

Cold boot problem since installing memory on a P5Q Pro

djsuth

Hello there , first post here and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

Recently I tried to upgrade my memory from 4Gb to 8Gb - adding an extra matched set of 2 X 2 Gb Corsair Dominator PC28500C5 1066Mhz to the ones I aready had installed.

To cut a long story short, it didn't go smoothly but after reducing the DRAM frequency to 800Mhz, increasing the NB voltage to 1.4 and manually setting the memory voltage to 2.1 V I was able to eradicate random BSOD's and get the system running stable.

But ....

Ever since I've had an unusual issue - the PC won't cold boot after being switched off for a long interval eg. overnight. The fans power up, I briefly get the Asus splash screen but thereafter just a black screen and the OS doesn't load. If I press the reset switch, or power down and reboot, it POST's correctly and runs smoothly thereafter. I've tried reconfiguring my system back to just 4Gb but the problem persists. I have even upgraded the BIOS, tried booting with just one stick of RAM, different memory slots etc .....but I just can't get rid of this cold boot problem.

My PC specs are in my profile, but for quick reference I'll just mention that my mobo is an Asus P5Q Pro and I'm not overclocking anything. After reading a lot of forums I've come to realise that this mobo is VERY picky about memory configs.

Anyone had similar problems, or comments on how to resolve this ? My system was functioning perfectly until I tried to add more memory. For this reason I'm doubtful that is suddenly the PSU giving out on me, or some other hardware issue.

Thanks in advance.

Did'nt want to start a new thread as i have the same issue. When i cold boot the PC, the fans spin up and nothing happens. I have to wait a little while and press the reset switch upon which everything is ok, although the bios will say overclocking failed and i have to change the bios settings to normal again.

I have not overclocked the pc. The ram is running fine at 1066 Mhz and the PC is otherwise rock stable and will run for days on end without it freezing.

Initially when i had assembled the pc, it would boot properly. This has started happening in the last few days.

• Corsair Employee

I would recommend that both of you test the memory modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure you do not have a failing memory module. Please make sure you have the latest BIOS, load setup defaults in the BIOS and then manually configure the following settings:

Memory Voltage: 2.1v

Memory Frequency: 1066MHz

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2T

If all four modules can pass memtest without errors, then I would suspect that a memory module is not causing the issues. You may want to test a single module in each slot to rule out a failing DIMM slot.

By the way, i forgot to mention one thing. I do not get any BSODs or any other problem. Its just that the computer takes sometime to boot. I have to let the pc 'warm up' for say two minutes and then everything is fine and it boots up OK. If i shut down the pc and restart it after say about 20 mins, it does so without a hiccup. Its only when its been off for a long time that it does this. Have run 3D mark 2006 a number of times without a single error.

• Corsair Employee
In that case you may want to disconnect everything from the motherboard that you do not need in order to boot up into the BIOS and see if you can still reproduce the same results. This should narrow the problem down to either the PSU motherboard or BIOS. If the problems go away with the barebones configuration, then reconnect each component one at a time until you discover which one is causing the problems.

Hi, checked all the components and it seems that it is the RAM that is causing the problems. Ran memtest and it gave a lot of errors although i dont know how much to trust it as a lot of people have reported the errors going away with only one stick in. Ill check that too. Meanwhile i have taken the NB voltage up to 1.3v and the southbridge up to 1.2v and it seems to have solved the problem for now. Ill check again if the problem recurs. Is my ram faulty? Should I RMA it?

Hi,

It seems that the problem was solved only temporarily. Im back to square one with the boot issue. I did check with memtest though. I checked the sticks individually and in pairs and they both pass the test. But if i test all 4 together then they fail memtest. Why is this happening? Is it an issue with ram timings?

• Corsair Employee

What are the settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi,

I have finally isolated the problem down to one stick of RAM. I realised initially that i could cold boot if there were three sticks of RAM in the pc. While doing this, i figured out that it would cold boot if only one particular stick was not there. I tried this stick in other configs including trying it with two other sticks and i started having the same issue again. Have been using the pc without the bad stick for two days now and all the boot issues have gone!!...

• Corsair Employee

Please try the system wit just that module installed if it is that module causing the problem it should have problems when ran by it self. And if it is that module the set that it came with will have to all be repalced.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

• 3 months later...

Archived