Corsair Community

VX550 loud fan noise

700MBcdr

Hi guys,

So I've had my VX550w PSU for about 1.5 years now. It's been really awesome, best PSU I've used yet :biggrin:

However, recently since a few days ago, the fan seems to have become quite noisy. I spent about an hour unplugging stuff, thinking the noise was from one of my case fans, but in the end, with just the PSU connected to the mobo, there was still the "humming" noise (its not super loud, but noticably louder than say a week ago). (Btw not sure but I read somewhere the fan speed might depend on computer load? If so the sound is pretty much the same level from when I turn it on, to playing a game, to just plugging in mobo only)

The noise just kinda annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks alot! ::pirate::

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

during the last year using this nice psu i had no problems at all. 2 months ago i bought a new cpu and gpu (see specs). since then every time i start a game (heavy load) the fan of psu (and only this fan!) going to full speed resulting in an annoying noise.

I measured and calculated the systems power consumtion to be not above 400 watts. i'am quite sure that's not a thermal problem since the cpu and gpu stay relatively cool.

hence the question: is this a normal behavior??

• Corsair Employees
Is your system overclocked? if it is, then it is possible that it is pulling more than just 400watts. It is normal that the fan spin at full speed when the PSU is taxed heavily by your system.

i did some measurements. the complete system just pulls 260watts under load conditions.

the environmental temp is 84.2°F, the psu intake temp is 100.4°F and the exhaust temp is 104°F. in my opinion there is no need for spinning at maximum. is it possible that there's a problem with pci-e power? because just stressing the cpu to the max causes no fan noise.

• Corsair Employees
i did some measurements. the complete system just pulls 260watts under load conditions.

the environmental temp is 84.2°F, the psu intake temp is 100.4°F and the exhaust temp is 104°F. in my opinion there is no need for spinning at maximum. is it possible that there's a problem with pci-e power? because just stressing the cpu to the max causes no fan noise.

Follow the RMA request link in my signature to try a different VX550

Archived