Corsair Community

Very Impressed With H50 But Added 1 More Fan

JohnyT

Hi there.

Have been using the H50 for a few days now and very pleased with it so far. I did have an issue mounting it to my new 1200 case ( could not wait for 800d) There were 2 120mm mounts on the rear it would not go on the top one as the radiator hits the roof. I put it on the one bellow but the fan mount on the side pannel hits the pipe where it joins. Ive had to saw that off which means no side fan but its really not needed any way.

I sort of decided before I bought it that I would add a 2nd fan to the radiator. So I bought a fast 120mm fan that I use as an intake and the stock fan is used as out take. The down side to this is that I only had 2 screws to use for each but its all very sturdy as is.

As for the results I've got my I7 920 clocked at 3.8ghz ( might try 4ghz later ) I ran prime95 x64 for an hour and the temps peaked at 74c with room temp of 25.2c

Not bad at all! Ive included a couple of pics take a look :bigeyes: (sorry about large image size)

The 4 pin cable looks messy still waiting for an extension to arrive

http://www.johntrott.com/h50.JPG

http://www.johntrott.com/stress.jpg

Wait, are you saying that your fans are blowing AGAINST eachother?

No LOL both are working in the same direction. The fan at the back is bowing air from outside the case in towards the radiator. The fan on the front is then driving air away from the radiatior and into the case. There is a massive fan at the top of the case that is pulling all that warm air up.

Ahh, i see! LOL

Still that's a rather unusual setup, never seen an exhaust fan blow inwards before.

No not really, its as simple as which way round you mount the fan. Have it one way to use as intake flip it 180 to make it an exhaust. Just cos its at the back of the case I think your asuming the air is being blown out from inside the case, the is not true.

Put it this way both fans are working in the same direction sucking air in from outsde, blowing it across the radiator then into case. There is a bloody huge fan at the top of my case sucking the warm air out the top.

As a whole air is being sucked if from front and the back. It then exausts out the top. It all works very well like this.

Again ignore the 4pin cpu power cable waiting on an extension cable still

http://www.johntrott.com/newpc.JPG

No not really, its as simple as which way round you mount the fan. Have it one way to use as intake flip it 180 to make it an exhaust. Just cos its at the back of the case I think your asuming the air is being blown out from inside the case, the is not true.

Your assumption is incorrect, all i'm saying is that fans which are set up to exhaust hot air away from a heat source (you refer to this as an outtake fan), are usually set up to blow outside of the case, instead of inside like in your rig. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't think this is very efficient, because watercooling your CPU means the minimal active cooling that the components around your CPU (transistors and such) used to get from your heatsink fan as a side effect, now get warm air blown at them instead. Personally i'd reverse that so that your top fan would work as an intake and the fans on the H50 would both work as exhausts.

Also, i love the camo job you did on the graphics cards.

Yes i can see what your saying but it really is very cool in there. The air coming off the the other side of the radiator is actully quite cold. So infact im not adding any more warm air into the case, on the contrary its very cold air im adding.

I have seen alot of people griping about this in other threads here and other forums but none of them are from people who actully own a H50. I really do wish i could show people how cool it is coming out of there

I believe you. I used to work with a custom dual-rad setup before my pump went FUBAR and the air coming off the rads really wasn't warm at all, i just didn't think a single 120mm rad would cope THAT well.

I still wouldn't mount mine like that but hey, as long as it works for you that's all that matters.

I believe you. I used to work with a custom dual-rad setup before my pump went FUBAR and the air coming off the rads really wasn't warm at all, i just didn't think a single 120mm rad would cope THAT well.

I still wouldn't mount mine like that but hey, as long as it works for you that's all that matters.

Also, the air coming out of the radiator won't be that "cold" after a couple of hours of gaming, or other activity that puts the CPU in load...

Also, the air coming out of the radiator won't be that "cold" after a couple of hours of gaming, or other activity that puts the CPU in load...

Wrong again, I ran Prim95 x64 for just over an hour and the air was still cold coming in. Maybe if I ran it for 2 or more that might change. Though even when gaming cpu load is not going to 100% the whole time.

I think when Im back at work on monday I'll ask to borrow the IR thermometer. I'll leave prime95 x64 running for a 2-3 hours depending on time available and take some readings off the back of the air flow. I'll post the findings up monday/tuesday night.

I installed the Corsair H50 in my Antec 902 replacing my True last night. I didn't notice much difference in idle and load temps maybe about 2c-3c. My True idled 52c and full load w/ Linx at 78c. With the Corsair H50 I idled 49 and full load w/ Linx at 76c. I'm going to redo the TIM w/ MX-2 and see if I get better temps. I couldn’t use the fan that came w/ the H50 cause my case came with a back fan attached to a fan controller on the case. I rotated the back fan to blow air into the case. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the unit.

Does it make a difference which way the pump is positioned on the cpu? I had it where the corsair logo was upside down. When I re-applied the TIM paste I put the pump back on, so you can read the logo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived