Corsair Community

Corsair 400CX suddenly dead

sosurim

I have the new MSI Media Live Diva mobo. This is connected to a Dell 27" wide LCD monitor. I was able to install Win7 64-bit fine and ran it through its paces, especially the media center for nearly a week now.

I had been using the headphones to listen to the audio portion of various video files (mkv, avi, divx, xvid, etc.). Everything was fine. But today, I hooked up a couple of non-powered speakers to the amp card, and it work fine for a couple of hours...

Then blam! The power shut off and will not come back on. I thought perhaps the amp card was drawing too much power to drive the speakers? So I quickly took the amp card out, and still nothing. The power indicator on my chassis comes on. And the little led on the motherboard comes on. But when I push the power button, nothing.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out whether the PSU or the mobo's at fault here. What I want to know are:

1. Is 400w enough power to drive this particular motherboard? I suspect that 400w is not enough, especially because of the amp card which is supposed to be able to drive 5 speakers at 100w each.

2. But again, I read of some people using this mobo with only a 300w PSU? Are they full of it?

3. Is there a way to reset my PSU, assuming it has blown a fuse or something? Sorry for my ignorance.

Please help. Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks, S.

• Corsair Employees
This PSU is more than sufficient for your setup. You can easily test a power supply for functionality with a simple paperclip. First, disconnect all the cables from your motherboard and other devices, but leave the power supply plugged into the wall. Next, bend the paperclip until you have a U shape. Find the 24-pin ATX connector and plug one part of the paperclip into the socket where the green wire ends, and the other end into the socket where a black wire ends. Make sure the power switch on the back of the PSU is on, (should be the I symbol) and the fan should spin up. If it doesn’t, your power supply may be bad.

Hi,

Thanks for a quick feedback. Actually, just by chance, I switched off the PSU and pulled out the 4-pin 12v connector. And when I switched the PSU on again, the CPU fan and the PSU fan were working.

Is this the same as the paperclip test? I hope so, cuz because I'm such a klutz, I'm afraid of electrocuting myself doing the paperplic test :). Really.

If this means that the PSU's okay, I'll move on and focus on the motherboard. This is the second board from MSI with the same problem then. Is there something on the mobo that shuts off the 4-pin 12v current if it thinks the CPU's in danger? Is there a way to shut that off?

Thanks again.

S

• Corsair Employees

Did you press the power button or flipping the switch on the PSU turns on the system?

Nah, it won't electrocute you.. It is only 5v, you most likely wont feel anything at all :):

Archived