Corsair Community

Bad write Performance with Flash Survivor 16Gb

moogman79

I have bought a 16 Gb USB stick and now i am totaly disapointed with the performance...

5-8 Mb/sec write

EDIT: I have now formated the drive with FAT32 now readyboost is available...

but the write performance is about 6 mb / sec thats not much :-(

Is this performance normal?

Hope for help.

• Corsair Employees

Please test using HDBench (Available here: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=67837) and follow these steps to accurately test the write and read speed for your drive.

1. Do a full format with FAT32 on a Windows XP machine. (we have found that formatting the drive with Vista will give you slower transfer speeds)

2. Make sure you select the correct drive letter in the lower right hand corner of HDBench.

3. Make sure 100MB file size is selected

4. Click the "Computer Tower" icon on the bottom left of the screen to begin the benchmark.

The benchmark will take 1-2 minute to complete, please do not use the system during the benchmark. We would expect the 16GB Flash Voyager to read at 29MB/s and write at 7MB/s under these specific conditions. If your results are lower than ours, then we can definitely try replacing the drive for you!

Okay now my stick is mechanicaly damaged....

The glue on the bottom of the stick brocke....

now i have 3 parts :-)

1. The Stick itself

2. The Case

3. The Screw with the stickholder

Stick is still working but i have also lost the 2 rubber rings any chance for RMA?

• 1 month later...

My usb stick is dead now....

thx corsair, not what i expected from a "qualtiy" product.

I cannot read the stick anymore it apears as a swapable device ...

and formating is not possible. I have checkt it on 2 PC´s ...

I will NOT RMA that crap!

I have used a hammer and breaked it apart... i don´t like promises and

than a device wich breaks afer a couple of months. (and this is not the first usb drive i got from crosair witch is faulty after a short time)

Sorry the next stick i will buy, will be the cheapest thing i can get from my supplier... i buy a stick for a high price and it fails for what should i buy again it...

-sorry i am angry-

If your RMA'd stick failed with a certain timeframe you wouldn't pay for shipping back to them... if it wasn't broken up into a million pieces. Either something in your system is overvolting the USB port, causing damage to the drive, or the port's possibly faulty, or you have unbelievable luck and it's a bad drive.

Sorry i was a bit angry at post date....

Thx for your response Wired,

but overvolting usb port, how could that happen.. the 5 Volts for the USB port comes from the PSU and than it goes to a current limiting circrut i don´t think it was overvoltage.....

but it could be an ESD.

But that is my 2nd stick from corsair and i am not satisfied, sorry.

i have had a corsair flash voyager, the rubber encluser did not fit anymore....

The glue is not very good and corsair should never ever put glue on a pcb or direct on a ic cause this can damage the pcb, if you use to much force you will easiely rip off the copper from the pcd...

The Corasir Flash Survivor breaks in 2 parts after 2 weeks of using.

And about a month later the flashcontroller can not regonize its flash memory.

That was my expereince with corsair. I understand you must be competitive in business but if i want a reliable stick what else should i buy?

I have very good experience with the dominator memory, they are really good but i will not buy a usb stick from corasir again, sorry thats my opinion.

b.t.w. if the admin don´t want to read negative critism you can delete my post, its no problem for me.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our customer service and let them know the previous RMA number and we will be happy to replace it again at our expense if your last RMA was done directly with us. Call 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3".

Thx for response RamGuy,

but i have fixed the voyager stick on my own (powerglue)

and the survivor stick makes me so angry (because i had important data on it) so i break the stick completly appart and when i say completely i mean it.....

sorry i think RMA is not possible anymore i have around 150 parts wich broke apart from the stick :eek:

But thank you very much for you reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

I've the same problem with my stick as moogman79 has.

I tried to:

1. Do a full format with FAT32 on a Windows XP machine.

2. Do a benchmark in HDBench selecting the correct drive letter in the lower right hand corner of HDBench (100MB file size was selected).

Here ara the results:

read - 20800

write - 6797

Is this performance normal?

Hope for help. :) I have no hammer so i really need help :)

Archived