Corsair Community

Erasing and restoring image onto P128

ZBoater

I just bought a new model netbook and will be moving the P128 over (from a HP 2133 to a HP 2140). Since it is a different processor, I decided to do a fresh install to avoid any unpleasantness down the road if I tried to just swap the hard drive.

I have read many a post about erasing a SSD, "restoring to factory condition", etc. etc., and I am confused. I have searched but have gotten conflicting and outdated results.

On this new 2nd gen 128GB SDD, so I need to do anything special to restore it to a factory condition? My plan was to backup the new hard drive and restore it as is onto the SSD using Acronis True Image. Any pointers will be appreciated!

• Corsair Employees
On this new 2nd gen 128GB SDD, so I need to do anything special to restore it to a factory condition? My plan was to backup the new hard drive and restore it as is onto the SSD using Acronis True Image. Any pointers will be appreciated!

I am not clear on what you mean by this:

Are you going to do a fresh install on another HDD then image it to your new SSD Drive?

I would suggest just doing the install on the new SSD and save your self some time.

But Acronics True Image is some of the best imaging software on the market and one I have personally used and in fact we use it in our lab. So either way you should have no problems.

I confuse myself sometimes. :D: The new laptop comes with XP Pro already on it, so I was planning on backing that install up with True Image, swapping the hard drive out and install the SSD, then restore that image onto the SSD.

I was wondering if I had to do anything special to the SSD before I restored that image or if I decided to do a fresh install from scratch.

Some have had issues with SSD partition alignment when restoring with Acronis software. After you restore, be sure to check your partitions alignment so that you're running at max performance.

Jason

I ran Acronis Disk Director Suite to check. Didn't find anything odd, but I couldn't find where to check "alignment". How can I check that?

Thanks!

Archived