Corsair Community

ThinkPad T-series does NOT support SATA II

techcafe

i'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere in the forum, but it turns out that certain late generation ThinkPads do not support SATA II speeds (despite the false advertising on the Lenovo website).

turns out that the ThinkPad's chipset DOES support SATA II (3.0 Gb/s), BUT the 'brilliant' Lenovo engineers decided to cripple the system at SATA I (1.5 Gb/s), to provide backward compatibility with UltraBay drives. so, the bus actually runs at the much slower 1.5 Gb/s (SATA I), NOT 3.0 Gb/s (SATA II). of course, on the Lenovo website, they've done an excellent job of obscuring this annoying little fact. for instance, the spec sheet for the ThinkPad T61p explicitly states "SATA 3.0 Gb/s" for the drive specifications... yet, they make no mention anywhere that the drive will actually operate at 1.5 Gb/s, the slower SATA I speed, because of the UltraBay compatibility restriction. pretty sneaky of Lenovo. i'm surprised they aren't being sued over this. anyone interested in a class action with me??

and this is not the first time i've had to send a computer back to Lenovo because of false/misleading advertising.

so, if you upgraded your ThinkPad and are not getting the rated speeds for your SSD... blame Lenovo.

btw, Thank You to RAMGUY for drawing my attention to this.

there's more info on the ThinkPad vs SATA II scandal to be found HERE

Lenovo better deal with this ASAP, and release a BIOS update to correct the problem - enable SATA II - otherwise they are going to end-up with a lot of unhappy ThinkPad customers, including myself.

good news... i got a call from Lenovo today, a nice guy named Mark offered to make things right by giving me the option to trade-in my T61p machines for different/newer models ThinkPads, ie, that are not effected by the notorious GPU 'latency' issues and SATA I restriction.

so, that makes me happy, thank you Lenovo for caring about your customers. i was surprised by the phone call, and pleased.

i'll follow-up on this later, after i get my new ThinkPads... hopefully with more good news.

It has not been uncommon for some NB's to have the speed for memory and HDD limited to preserve battery life.

perhaps, but in this particular case, aggressive power management is not the issue effecting the T-series ThinkPads. the SATA I limitation is caused by the UltraBay SATA-to-PATA conversion component, as discussed HERE.

from an engineering perspective, the selection of that particular component was a poor choice... Lenovo's engineers corrected their mistake in later models, albeit a bit too late for those of us who got stuck with T61 machines.

• 6 months later...
Thank you Techcafe for bringing the SATA-I restriction and GU Latency issue to my attention. How are your new Thinkpads working out? I was wondering if you could instruct me and others how to go about trading in our faulty T61's for the corrected models. Such as providing names, e-mails, phone numbers of people who understand the problem and would be willing to help. Thanks!

Thank you Techcafe for bringing the SATA-I restriction and GU Latency issue to my attention. How are your new Thinkpads working out? I was wondering if you could instruct me and others how to go about trading in our faulty T61's for the corrected models. Such as providing names, e-mails, phone numbers of people who understand the problem and would be willing to help. Thanks!

First, I would like to say Attaboy ! and a big thank you, Techcafe. :D: :D:

Second, Lenovo warrants these machines (except for the batteries :mad:) for three years. I wonder if the warranty can be invoked as a justification.

That being said, i'm pretty p/o'ed even though I have a hard drive and not an SSD. I spent extra for a 7200 rpm replacement for the original 5400 rpm drive that came with my machine. So I too would be very, very interested in a "make good" process.

Has this been discussed on the Lenovo forums?

Also, not to defend Lenovo, but my T61 Thinkpad has an IBM logo :bigeyes: on to the right of the keyboard.

Thanks,

x509

• 7 months later...

Archived