Corsair Community

Asus P5Q-E and 4 sticks of CM2X2048-6400C4DHX

Technohead

Hi, I'm after a little bit of assistance if possible.

I have a problem where my PC crashes when playing the game GTA-IV. No BSOD, just a hang with graphical glitches, and sometimes an audio loop. I have all the latest drivers installed for my hardware and the latest updates for the Steam client software and GTA-IV itself (as of today 29/06/2009)

I've already replaced the PSU and tried a different Video card.

My case airflow and cooling is good.

All temperatures are running well within limits. (CPU, GPU & Ambient)

No overclocking either.

Windows XP SP3 32bit and Windows 7 64-bit show the same problem.

Latest BIOS v2101 on the Asus P5Q-E motherboard

4x sticks of CM2X2048-6400C4DHX (but same problem running 2 sticks, no matter which ones I try)

BIOS set to manually have 4-4-4-12 2T timings with 2.1v (confirmed with CPU-Z)

Memtest86+ passes full tests, looped overnight.

I'm just stumped as to why the system crashes and only on this game. To be fair I only play World of Warcraft and GTA-IV really (or not, as the case may be!), but WoW runs fine for hours and has never crashed the system. (It is a far less demanding game though)

It's a puzzler for sure and I'm leaning towards blaming the RAM purely for no other reason bar that the only other piece of hardware I've not swapped out during testing is the motherboard. CPU intensive stress tests pass ok too.

Any info or suggestions as to any extra BIOS settings I should apply for the RAM would be appreciated, I know this may not necessarily be a RAM issue but I'm running out of things to try!

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the late response.

I've since ran Memtest on all modules individually with all tests passing ok. (a few days after my original post) Memory was set to 4-4-4-12 as per supported timings, and voltage set to 2.1 as specified. I did set the NB volts up a bit as suggested and as I read on other support sites. Disabling legacy USB appears to make no difference on this board with this BIOS revision.

I swapped the motherboard for a friends old P35 one and the problem remained but showed up slightly differently, with GTA and other games crashing to desktop instead of hanging the machine. If anything the problem was worse so I went back to my Asus board but this time I set it up on the bench with minimal hardware installed. (1 stick of RAM, 1 HDD, onboard sound, Video Card, etc) and tested GTA fine for over 45 mins!

Assuming the problem was resolved, (since it usually freezes within 20 mins) I plugged in the matching stick of RAM in the dual channel slot and no POST!

I then swapped both the modules for the other matching set and it posts fine. Not stress tested it yet in this 2x2GB configuration but I'm guessing it will be fine.

This morning before leaving for work I installed the suspect module and it POSTed ok but came up with an "Overclocking failed" message. Since I'm not really overclocking I'm assuming it didn't like the manual bios settings for the RAM. I ensured they were set right, saved changes and it POSTed ok. I've left the machine running Memtest today on this module.

Strange that memtest passed all modules previously ... maybe it will pass the individual stick too but stress testing in GTA appears to be a more reliable indicator of stability.

If I have a faulty stick do I return the 2x2GB kit to Corsair or the online retailer I originally purchased from ? (purchased 16th Dec 2008)

I'll update with my testing results later today

Well, the suspect stick did 22 passes on memtest whilst I was at work - all passed ok.

I've now got all 4 sticks in and have been playing GTAIV for an hour. It's confusing me mightily. Guess I'll get it off the bench tomorrow and back in the antec p160 case then add 1 thing back in at a time, testing in between.

The motherboard POST screen still hangs ocassionally with the overclocking error which forces me to hit F1 to re-enter the BIOS, set the RAM timings and voltages and the NB and CPU voltages. More testing required /sigh

thanks RAM GUY, I'll update after more testing but it may be RAM, it may not be .. any suggestions appreciated

• Corsair Employees

Did you set the settings I suggested previously?

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I set the setting you suggested, with the exception of leaving the memory at 800MHz ... surely I shouldn't have to run it slower than it's rated speed? It's still testing ok with all 4 sticks at the moment. I'll put it back in the case tonight and do some further testing.

EDIT : I will try lowering the speed to 667MHz on the RAM as you suggest.

Well, after further testing I am satisfied that the RAM is definitely fine.

Still not sure where the fault really is since I've not yet fully re-assembled the system. I've just been so happy with it finally being stable I've just been having fun using the thing!

Settings at the moment;

800MHz RAM at 4-4-4-12 2.1v

NB at +0.2v from default

Thanks for your assistance Ram Guy, I really do appreciate it. You can now ignore this thread, I don't want to take up any more of your time.

I will identify the problem and I will eventually post back with my solution in case it helps anyone else searching the forum in the future but it may be some time.

I've yet to rule out dual video from the equation. (still running on one screen, whereas I had two monitors connected to the 8800GT before)

Yet to re-attach my other 3xHDDs & DVDRW

Yet to re-wire my USB front panel ports

Yet to reinstall my Audigy2 (using on-board at the moment)

I find it hard to believe re-connecting one of the above will bring back the random freeze but will test dual video first then start adding things back 1 at a time slowly.

thx again

I already previously replaced my old 480W Tagan PSU with a 750W to test that. I wanted to upgrade anyway. It made no difference.

Also, it's only one nvidia 8800GT using the dual outputs. And I borrowed a friend's 8800GTX to ensure it wasn't my card. Tested on different drivers, different OS (WinXP-32 and WinVista-64)

If the problem does re-occur as I add something back then I will certainly try lowering the RAM speed to 667Mhz and re-test

Archived