Corsair Community

SDD M64 random 10-60 sec freezes in Windows XP SP2 (64 bit)

billshan

Hi first post. At first I had very quick and flexible response from this drive but gradually over the course of a couple weeks its started freezing. Usually it happens when I try to invoke the file manager while also running an application. The freeze is so bad that the only thing that move is the mouse cursor. I can't pull up task manager to find out what is happening. I end up having to walk away from the system for a few minutes till it becomes responsive again.

I used diskpar to offset my partition 1024 bytes and set up a 16GB partition for XP64 SP2 and then set up the remaining ~48GB as an application partition. I put the swap file on the 48GB partition. The system boots in about 10 seconds and runs very well unless I am installing software or using my main application Adobe Lightroom. Then it periodically freezes and becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I come back and the system has become responsive, other times its just hung and I end up very slowly invoking task manager and terminating the task.

• Corsair Employees
That sounds more like a driver issue, I would try and use Secure Erase/HDD Erase 3.3 is the recommended method to restore the drive back to its original factory state then do a fresh install of the O.S. on one partition to be sure it is not some other issue.

You mean the motherboard SATA driver? This is a new system build and it did seem quicker until I installed M$ Net in order to support the ATI catalyst video driver. The only software I've installed so far are java 6.14, directX 9, MS Net3.5, Adobe lightroom, mozilla firefox, foxit reader, vlc media player, audacity, IZArc, AVGfree and about 12GB of photos.

Umm, XP64 device manager is showing that the disk driver is microsoft version 5.2.3790.1830 dated 10/01/2002. The OS refuses to let me update to any drivers from the ATI XP64 chipset package. I guess I will try as you say and do a complete re-install.

• Corsair Employees
It will be the driver for the IDE controller not the SSD Drive it self is what you will want to update. If you have the option when you install the ATI Chipset drivers to NOT install the IDE drivers for the chipset I would try that.

On the advice of a friend I set the system performance monitor to show physical disk / current disk queue length. He said it should be typically less than 2 - 10. A reinstallation of the southbridge drivers gave a queue of 100. So I stumbled on comments here and elsewhere about needing AHCI enabled for SATA devices but also the difficulty of getting them installed on an already installed XP 32/64 system.

Well, I fiddled all morning and here is luck. There are two SATA controllers on this board. The Jmicron raid controller and then the southbridge chipset controller. I moved the SDD to the JMicron controller and hooked an old SATA drive to the southbridge chipset. Then I set the southbridge chipset to AHCI and on reboot XP-64 was willing to install the AHCI drivers. Then I did the opposite and got them installed for the Jmicron controller. Finally one last reboot and I set all the controllers to AHCI. Now the drive benches 3-5 time faster for small disk writes and about the same for streaming writes. I'll see if that is an improvement.

I ordered a new SDD that arrived Friday morning. Norton ghost did a fine job of moving the whole XP64 Pro installation on my new MSI 790FX-GD70 from the Corsair M64 to the Intel X25-M. The system is even quicker than before and no more stuttering. But there's more. My friend here also copied my 5400 rpm 100GB laptop SATA drive onto the Corsair M64. The 100GB drive was not full but 51 of 64GB is used up. Now on the laptop the Corsair M64 drive is stuttering hardly at all. The M64 benches a little slower than it did on the other system but the M64 is much faster than the 5400 rpm laptop SATA hard disk it replaced. This laptop is a Toshiba satellite A105-S4021. I suppose its either the laptop chipset is more compatible with this SDD or maybe its that the OS on the laptop is XP32 Pro instead of XP64 Pro.

The longest stutter I've had since doing this was while typing this post. Just a few words and about five seconds. Oh it did it just now on the last half of "seconds" for about 4 characters and less than a second. So its still happening but its not annoying and prolonged like it was on the system in my profile. So, riddle me that batman.

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for the update, have you tried to see if you can duplicate the stuttering issue when booting into safe mode? I am curious to see if your systems software may have something to do with it, or if it is more hardware related.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ram guy,

I am having the same issue as described above on an dell xps 1330 running vista sp1.

The onboard sata controller is a Intel ICH8M (82801HEM/HBM Sata AHCI controller).

It was getting too frustrating for work having to wait for it so I went back to an IDE driver, but would like to fix my issue if possible.

Cheers

Paul

• Corsair Employees

Yes that is the J-Micron controller

The system you have is S-ATA 1 correct? And what version of driver were you using and was this the only Drive in the system and was it set to Raid or AHCI or IDE?

• Corsair Employees
Doing a Google search for the controller listed in the previous post brings up and slew of posts with people having problems running at full spec and or properly and suggests using a specific driver. Test the drive on another system with HD Bench to make sure the drive is performing properly other wise I would suspect it maybe an issue with the driver or maybe a setting for the driver

Thanks I will check - what speeds should I be getting?

In Hd tune 2.55 I received 63.7mb/sec minimum, 111.7mb/sec max and 97.1mb/sec average.

Access times of 0.2 ms, burst rate of 118.9mb/sec and cpu usage around 20%

I will look at the drivers now.

Cheers

Paul

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using HD Bench or ATTO Disk Bench to test the drive and the CMFSSD-64N1 performance should be 170 MB/s sequential read 100 MB/s sequential write. On the last few posts of this thread someone posted their results on this drive as the Boot Drive

Hd bench results with the latest intel driver - 8.9 (or 8.5) Im not in front of it at the moment.

http://barbz.com.au/hdbench_m64_w7rc1.JPG

Are these figures slow?

I am going to test this on different hardware shortly.

Paul

Archived