Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5 v3.1 problem

Hi,

I built this system a couple months ago with a set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5. The memory worked flawlessly with default (AUTO) settings, and at 1066MHz.

A couple weeks ago, I wanted to raise system memory to 8Gb so I ordered a 2nd set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 (same P/N so I would be sure to have no compatibility problem) from newegg.

When I received the new set of ram, I sticked it into slots 2-4, system booted fine up to windows, then system completely froze after a couple mins. I tried resetting it, removing/replacing AC cable, etc. Computer would not boot anymore (won't even get to the POST).

I tested my original set of ram, system works fine, but replacing the original pair with the new one ends up with some endless reset-like loop before POST (screen remains blank/powersave). Then I thought the new set of ram was DOA and returned it for replacement. I also noticed it's labeled as v3.1 (my original set is v1.1).

Last week, I received the replacement ram (again, it's labeled v3.1) and had similar results so I investigated a bit more.

I upgraded my MB's BIOS to latest version (F9) which apparently adds to memory compatibility over the F7 version I previously had. I did reset BIOS settings to original and optimal default settings, but the new ram is still highly unstable at 1066MHz, usually not even reaching windows desktop.

I've read a couple posts about problems when all 4-slots of ram full, but the new memory is also failing when I'm using it alone (I tried both banks 1-3 and 2-4).

I also tried raising memory voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V (even 2.2V) and forcing timings to 5-5-5-15. Anything I try at 1066MHz fails in memtest86+ (latest version I just redownloaded from memtest.org as RamGuy suggested on many other posts).

The new set of ram will work fine, even with all 4 banks filled, AUTO settings, but at 800MHz (no error in memtest86+ either at this speed) but it refuses to work at 1066MHz as it should be.

Also, a weird thing I noticed during one of the few couples times I could boot up to windows (and before it froze/crashed) using only the new set of ram and at 1066MHz, CPU-Z was reporting memory running with timings of 7-7-7-24 even though it did report SPD at 5-5-5-15 for this speed. At any point, the only memory timings I set in BIOS were either AUTO or forcing to 5-5-5-15.

I've also read many posts suggesting to disable Legacy USB. While I can't confirm right now if it's actually enabled or disabled in my BIOS, I certainly didn't have to play with it with my original set of ram (and it still works fine without changing this setting with my original ram).

While I understand some incompatibility issues might occur on some system configs, I repeat that anytime I put back my original set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 it works flawlessly so I would expect the new one (same P/N) to work similar in the same system, at least when it's used alone, replacing my original ram.

I have also noticed alot of people seem to have problems with this ram lately (most of the last reviews on newegg.ca mention similar problems).

Did something get broken in the new version of TWIN2X4096-8500C5 (e.g. v3.1, compared to v1.1)?

Is it a faulty batch or am I missing anything here?

Regards,

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

But with just the new set of modules I would suggest resetting the MB BIOS and then load setup defaults and set the tested settings manually and test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

I'm not going to bother trying to get them to work with all 4 banks if I can't get the new ram working all by itself.

I did reset BIOS to default settings, made sure Legacy USB is disabled, forced ram to 5-5-5-15, 2.1V and 533MHz (DDR1066).

I tried each of the new stick one at a time. In both case, I won't even reach POST if I put the stick in bank 0.

If I move the new stick to bank 1 then I'm able to boot and each stick passed memtest86+ with success.

I'm worried as I don't see any reason why it should not work in bank 0. If there was a problem with the bank slot, my original ram wouldn't work either in there.

...then I add the 2nd new stick to bank 3 to give memtest another try in dual-channel, and again I can't even reach POST with the 2 new sticks in bank 1-3 only.

So far, my original set of sticks succeeded on every single test the new sticks failed so should I manage to finally find a way to get the new set to work properly on a single particular setting, this won't be acceptable to me.

Even though the two kits are the very same part number, they certainly are not of the same quality. It's just wrong to have to fight for days to get a new set of ram to work, especially when you invest more money to buy a quality branded name instead of cheaper ram :(

Any last thought before I return it to vendor for refund?

• Corsair Employees
If you are having issues with the actual bank slot 0 and the rest of the banks work with out any problem then you might have a bad Dimm slot and might want to have the board replaced.

It seems to me that you have a different batch number for your ram there Bitstorm.

Also Quote "RAM GUY If you are having issues with the actual bank slot 0 and the rest of the banks work with out any problem then you might have a bad Dimm slot and might want to have the board replaced."

I think you missed a section in the post prior where he states that Bank 0 works fine with his Existing Ram.

Question , Is it possible that something was changed in the Ram Versions from 1.1 to 3.1 by chance ?

-Regards

-G

The defect bank slot would've made sense if no ram at all worked in it.

What should I tell them? "Hey, I got this mainboard working rock solid for months, then I just got this new ram that fails all sort of tests and I also can't boot if I put it in that slot, but if I use my original ram the computer works just fine". You really think they're gonna send me a replacement motherboard instead of telling me "If your original ram works fine I suggest you have your new ram replaced"? I highly doubt it.

To be honest, I feel like you've read only small parts of my posts, and it's quite insulting.

I suggest that you take a min to go read the recent customer reviews for this product on the newegg website. The vast majority of people who bought TWIN2x4096-8500C5 were very satisfied with it (and so was I) until the last couple weeks where most people are reporting DOAs. Some are having them successfully replaced with good kits, other also report the replacement kit is just as bad (and unfortunately I'm adding to them).

I was hoping you tell me it was a bad batch (yes, it can happen to anyone) and you could replace my bad kit with one that is just as reliable as the one I bought 3 months ago.

With all these bad reviews on the TWIN2x4096-8500C5 adding to my own experience, I will certainly have the new ram replaced before the mainboard.

No offense, but I'm sending the new ram back to vendor for a refund.

I hope you find and fix what's wrong before too many customers lose confidence in Corsair. I'm not trying to be rude here, just disapointed.

Hi,

Bitstorm, I feel your pain.

I recently purchased two sets of Corsair TWIN2x4096-8500C5 Version 3.1 & 4.1. Neither of these two sets of memory would run at the rated speed of 1066 using 2.1V and BIOS SPD or manual settings. My system would crash on boot and memtest86+-2.11 showed memory errors on one stick of each batch.

RMAed both sets and received replacements (both version 3.1 and quick return time from Corsair) Unfortunately, these memory sets will also not run at the rated speeds of 1066 using 2.1V and BIOS SPD or manual settings (latest motherboard bios and optimized settings). These sticks all present errors on memtest86+-2.11 when tested at 1066, but seem fine at 800. Please note, I have never tried to run all four sticks at the same time (tested only one or two sticks at a time).

I purchased this memory to allow my computer to run 8 GB of memory and replace a competitive product (currently running at 1066 on this motherboard - 4 sticks).

I have always been a big fan of Corsair memory and power supplies, but this experience is really tainting my perception of Corsair.

RAM Guy, How do you suggest I proceed next? I expect this memory to run at the advertised speed of 1066 and don't won't to RMA 5 times to get product that works. Please advise and thank you.

• Corsair Employees

That would suggest it is not the memory, can you test the memory in another MB? And are you trying to mix these two sets on one system?

If so with 4 modules DDR667 or DDR800 would be suggested.

Why would this suggest it is a motherboard problem? I have already stated I am running a competitors memory at 1066 on the same motherboard/system (without any issue). The Corsair memory will run at 800 on this computer (SPD settings) and another computer (800), but it will not run at the advertised speed of 1066 no matter how it is configured (SPD or manual). Please note, I have tested one stick, two sticks, and four stick configurations and none of the configurations will pass memtest86+-2.11 or not crash the system during boot-up.

Archived