Corsair Community

Secure erase will not work on my motherboard, need to reflash P256 firmware

mkanet

I can't use SecureErase HDD on my motherboard to restore my P256's original performance. HDDErase isnt compatible at all with my motherboard and wont even get to the menu options. I know that reflashing the P256 will fix this problem; but requires cooperation of Corsair tech support. Could someone (RAMGUY) please point me to the latest firmware for the P256? I'm guessing via PM?

EDIT: I am also more than willing to get support from tech support on how to restore original performance after a full format (instead of quick format) and clean install of Vista.

I definitely would like to do this via software instead of RMAing the drive for a new drive; unless that's the only way to get the factory performance back using Corsair's tech support.

Thanks very much RamGuy (or whoever ends up helping me). I prefer help privately if possible.

Thanks.

HP m8010y Media Center PC

Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus P5BW-LA

HP/Compaq name: Basswood3G-UL8E

Private help is not available on the forums. For that you would have to email or call in.

Please fill out your specs in your profile so that we know more info (e.g. which motherboard you have).

Yes. It's slower on a similar but, different system. This is the same symptom, as pretty much all SSDs; regardless of brand. You can find out more about this problem by doing a few internet searches. Pretty much in all cases, a BIOS level secure erase call can be issued; however, the 3rd party tool that I want to use doesnt work on my machines (both machines are similar type motherboard). The manufacturer's tech support can provide either a firmware or a tool issuing a secure erase to return it to factory condition via software. This information is also readily available via internet searches.

I am sorry but there is no Firmware we can send you, have you tested the drive in another system to make sure it is not some issue with that system?

If so then Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but the information I have seen does not apply to our SSD drives and I would suggest we get the drive replaced if you are not able to make it work and consider another Make and model Of MB, if the MB is actually causing this.

I'm sorry, please take the time to review the below URL. It has information necessary to help customers with this problem. It's important to provide correct support for customers who clearly have this problem. Other forum members who also have this issue can find what's really wrong instead of being led to think the P256 is defective or something wrong with the motherboard it's connected to.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2009/06/05/corsair-p256-256gb-ssd-review/10

After consultation with Corsair the problem remains unexplained and while entirely avoidable so long as you only ever quick format the drive, it's a potential landmine to those not aware of the issue. Once a full format has been completed the only way to restore the drive’s true performance is to use a low level erase program such as DOS based HDD Erase, a procedure that’s a fair bit more complicated than fitting a S-ATA hard disk drive and we’re concerned that some users will simply think their SSD is faulty and try and RMA it to Corsair.

Corsair had this to say regarding the format bug:

Corsair is in the process of putting together FAQs and other items to show users how to recover performance on the drive if a full format is done in Vista. And we are continuing to work with Samsung to get a better understanding of what causes this anomaly. In the event that customers experience the problem, our tech support team will work with them to recover their performance, rather than asking the customer to return the non-defective drive.

I am sorry but the information I have seen does not apply to our SSD drives and I would suggest we get the drive replaced if you are not able to make it work and consider another Make and model Of MB, if the MB is actually causing this.

as a side note, the only difference between quick and full format is that quick format does not run scandisk first to look for bad secotors. other than that there is no difference between the two choices.

perhaps its the "search for bad sectors" that causes an issue?

since there are no platters in an SSD i personally dont see the point of doing a "full" format.

• Corsair Employees

This has been posted before and we have suggested using Secure Erase/HDD Erase 3.3 as the recommended method to restore the drive back to its original factory state.

1. Not formatted to NTFS.

2. Damaged MBR.

3. Was previously part of a RAID configuration setup.

Solutions:

1. Delete drive and partition with Vista installation CD.

2. In some cases Vista installation CD will not be able to partition the drive. Some filing systems will lock the boot sector and Vista installation CD will not be able to override it. In this case user will need to either use a third party DOS partitioning software or format the drive in a system that already has XP/Vista installed by using Disk Management (located in Control Panel/ Computer Management; Admin Rights is required).

In your case you stated that you tried this and was not able to recover the drive hence I suggested we replace the drive.

The easiest way to restore factory state other than use HDD Erase is to simply reflash the drive. Its a bit surprising that an SSD manufacturer's tech support recommends RMAing a perfectly good SSD disk just because firmware isn't made available like all other SSD manufacturers. It also doesnt make sense to suggest a 3rd party tool as the only means to fix the problem. I am glad that these Corsair forum posts are google searchable for people to see before they consider buying.

I'm willing get my my disk replaced with a brand new one if there's no firmware I can download. However, I still use this disk for my server. If you guys can arrange to ship me a brand new one, I will send mine back as soon as I receive it.

Either way would work for me.

Thanks..

This has been posted before and we have suggested using Secure Erase/HDD Erase 3.3 as the recommended method to restore the drive back to its original factory state.

Solutions:

1. Delete drive and partition with Vista installation CD.

2. In some cases Vista installation CD will not be able to partition the drive. Some filing systems will lock the boot sector and Vista installation CD will not be able to override it. In this case user will need to either use a third party DOS partitioning software or format the drive in a system that already has XP/Vista installed by using Disk Management (located in Control Panel/ Computer Management; Admin Rights is required).

In your case you stated that you tried this and was not able to recover the drive hence I suggested we replace the drive.

• Corsair Employees
The P256 is the Samsung Drive and you are welcome to try the Firmware from them directly if its listed on their site, but the format utilities suggested should be able to recover the drive. I am sorry but that is not something we can do from Tech support, I would suggest getting the RMA and then calling in and talking to our customer service by phone once you have the RMA number and see what options are available to get the drive replaced.

Something doesnt sound right. So, every time someone wants to get their SSD back to normal speed, they have to RMA a perfectly good SSD? Suggesting a 3rd party freeware software as a primary solution to circumvent reflashing the drive is really not too believable. Samsung most definitely provides the firmware and respective firmware flashing tool to Corsair for these kinds of common issues. They dont directly provide the firmware to their OEM's customers; nor, should the OEM refer their customers to them; as they are the designers. Can you please find out who at Corsair would be able to provide access the the existing firmware (not beta)... just the one that used in cases where a firmware is corrupted, etc.

Thanks..

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but I have asked and there is no firmware available for that drive, or any of our SSD Drives at this time.

If one of the options I have suggested do not work for you then the only option is to replace the drive.

Hi Ram Guy, I want to thank you for truly trying. I know that you have done everything in your power. At least this information will be very helpful to someone in the future who is shopping around for SSD Sata drives. Too bad I didnt have a forum thread like this when shopping around for SSDs. I guess we'll have to wait for trim support when it becomes fully implemented in Windows 7; which then, there will definitely need to be a firmware update; or, face a lot of angry customers...

I dont think I'm going replace my SSD; as, this would mean, I would be RMAing a drive once ever few months.

I am sorry but I have asked and there is no firmware available for that drive, or any of our SSD Drives at this time.

If one of the options I have suggested do not work for you then the only option is to replace the drive.

Yeah, I couldnt find it either. Dell, which is very good about putting firmware on their website, doesnt have the firmware available for there's either. It's very unusual, its almost like Samsung doesnt want people to flash it's firmware; either that, or it's not flashable.

FYI I couldn't find any firmware or tools on Samsung's website.

It's always worked, its just got slower after the format; at least using a tool like Crystal DiskMark. I see a lot of people talking about it too. There's no doubt there are people that dont know what they are talking about; a good portion of them being just kids. However, there are people (even some engineers) which do consistently agree about SSD wear leveling,fragmentation, etc. A simple fix seems to be the answer; either a firmware refresh or a secure erase; certainly not an RMA of the whole device.

I see a lot of people talking about this on other forums but I think most do not really know what they are talking about, is your drive working or not?

• Corsair Employees
You might try it again and just do a quick format, we have seen some issues when using the full format option. Or try Secure Erase or HDD Erase 3.3 would be the recommended method to restore the drive back to its original factory state.

No difference when doing a quick format. As for Secure Erase, I have 3.3 and 4.0, they both get stuck in the same fashion; hence the reason for naming the title of this thread, "Secure erase will not work on my motherboard, need to reflash P256 firmware." I need a software solution provided by Corsair; not a tool created by someone else.

You might try it again and just do a quick format, we have seen some issues when using the full format option. Or try Secure Erase or HDD Erase 3.3 would be the recommended method to restore the drive back to its original factory state.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but I just checked again and Samsung has no firmware that we can give out and if your drive will not format with one of the methods I have given then the only choice is to replace it. However, I know they are working on a utility but it is not clear if it will be made public or how long that will take.

Ram Guy, Thanks so much for going above and beyond. I will investigate RMA'ing the device. Hopefully I can give my credit cart to customer service as collateral until I receive a brand new disk from them; which I will send them promptly my old disk. If it looks like they need me to send my disk first and have a server without a boot disk, I'll have to just keep the one I have until I possibly have access to this utility that's not finished yet.

If you have any influence with customer service to get me a brand new SSD (I've had mine only for a few weeks) and arrange for me to send mine back, I'd really appreciate it greatly. I will then never do a full format again.

Thanks again for all your help,

MKANET

I am sorry but I just checked again and Samsung has no firmware that we can give out and if your drive will not format with one of the methods I have given then the only choice is to replace it. However, I know they are working on a utility but it is not clear if it will be made public or how long that will take.

Archived