Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX Locks Up On P5Q3

BartCowan

I am having an issue with a new system I built. The system will lockup/freeze at random times. It happens while just being in Vista, during games and has even happened while I was looking at the BIOS settings! The system usually freezes within 1 hour of use. When rebooting the system has also rebooted during Vista startup, usually makes it in on second attempt but only to freeze again within the hour.

It seems to be the memory (TW3X4G1333C9DHX) due to tests I have performed. When taking out one of the two sticks everything runs fine. I repeated this by swapping the memory to find both sticks work fine independantly. The first time I put them both back in and booted the system hung 10 minutes into Vista.

I have the latest MB BIOS 0707 using default settings.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong.

Hi Bartcowan

Have you run each modulal with memtest 86 v2.11 for 3-5 passes.

It would be interesting to see whats happening, as i am running the same memory and have a help thread open aswell for very similar issues, my system works much better on one stick than with the pair.

I have looked through this forum to see that this peticular part number is troublesome so far leading to either a knackered MB or the post go's un-answered.

I ran the tests to find no errors but you may come up with something else. my system still unstable with the pair, but i have queried the voltage, my pair where running together more stable @ 1.6v than 1.7v, individually it doesnt seem to matter as there is a noticeable improvement in stability.

have you check your latency settings and FSB etc,

While looking through the forum have seen that the FSB speed can be an issue aswell with it having to be run at a lesser speeds sometimes.

regards

Whilsky

Thanks for the reply whilsky

I have run memtest with both modules in the system successfully but I think for only two passes.

I have jet to have my system lock up with a single stick in the system.

You mention the pair run more stable @1.6v than 1.7v, I thought the spec's listed the chips at 1.6v?

Not sure what to check with respect to latency settings and FSB. I did verify the 9-9-9-24 setting in BIOS.

Is this forum supposed to gets replies from Cosair?

Hello again bartcowan

I am unsure if this forum has any corsair technicians in but there are some Enthusiasts, offering good advice. They mostly answer replies during weekdays, so tonight answers may start flowing

I found the spec's for the ram tobe 1.6v on corsair tech pages, but the ram actually illustrates on it 1.7v and i have been told to test at 1.8v, i have been very confused with this aswell, most semi conductors are very precise on voltage.

Not knowin what bios you are running but the FSB etc should all be easily displayed for both CPU and RAM, its worth having alook to make sure its at 1333. Might be worth posting these settings just incase someone notices something amiss?

whilsky

Here are some specs I got from running CPU-Z. I could only get them while running one stick of memory since it was locking up before I could run CPU-Z with two sticks!

Processor

Specification Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Rated Bus speed 1335.9 MHz

Stock frequency 3000 MHz

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge Intel P45/P43 rev. A3

Southbridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev. 00

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x8

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR3

Memory Size 2048 MBytes

Memory Frequency 668.0 MHz (1:2)

CAS# Latency (tCL) 9.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 9 clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 clocks

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR3, PC3-10700H (667 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Corsair

For everyone having issues with memory I have found a fix. I bought 4GB 2x2048 of Patriot memory inserted into machine and it now runs error free. No crazy changes to FSB, Voltages etc. etc.

Plug and Play. The memory is not even listed on the QVL as the Corsair memory is!

Not sure where the problem originates MB or memory but if Patriot works out of the box and Cosair causes constant lock ups I think it points to the memory.

Archived