Corsair Community

Athlon 3200+ TWINX1024-3200LLPT Problems

msandford

Hi I have the A7N8X Deluxe 1.04 with an Athlon 3200+ at 400 FSB. Ever since installing this processor I have been having trouble running games. I originally had one stick of Crucial 512MB PC3200 and one stick of Crucial 256MB PC3200. With these two DIMM's running in dual channel games would crash within the first few minutes. If I put them in single channel mode the computer would run for longer but still crash. I then decided to remove the 256MB stick and see if that would solve the problem and it did! I have now bought the Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT. I thought that I would be able to run these in dual channel mode with their default timings but I was wrong. When I run 3DMark03 the computer crashes straight away. I have tried various BIOS (BIOS Uber 1004) tweaks and at the moment my settings are: Memory Frequency: Set by SPD Default memory timing DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7v Graphics Aperture: 64MB AGP 8x: Disabled Fast Writes: Disabled I have the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with catalyst 4.4. The weird thing is, when I run memtest86 with the RAM in dual channel mode, no errors appear. Why do my games crash then? Is it a problem with the video card? Please can someone advise. Thank you. _________________ Athlon XP 3200+ - 400 FSB A7N8X Deluxe 1.04 - BIOS Uber 1004 1024 PC3200 DDR400 TWINX1024-3200LLPT 60GB ATA133 7200RPM Maxtor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - Catalyst 4.4 350W PSU Win XP

Welcome to the forums, msandford! Make sure your memory interface is 100% (400FSB & DDR400), then double check Memtest. If you don't get any errors from [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] then the memory isn't the culprit. Personally, I'd say it's the mainboard in conjunction with your CPU. This leaves us with two main issues: 1) Your CPU is faulty, try another one/a friend's CPU, etc, anything with a 400FSB or try your CPU in their computer. 2) Your mainboard doesn't actually support a 400FSB until REV 2.0 even though the BIOS updates will allow you to use it, REV 1.xx A7N8X Deluxe boards don't have official support for it. PLUR CK

Yes both RAM is running at DDR400 in dual channel mode and my CPU is runninh at 400 FSB. I don't understand why one DIMM running at DDR400 is stable? As soon as I put in a second stick the computer is unstable. If I didn't make it clear in my first post, my computer only crashes during intense 3D games. It is fine during normal operation. Thanks

[b][color=blue]msandford:[/b][/color] I believe you're experiencing a chipset limitation or a cooling problem. Running intense 3D games and programs creates an immense amount of stress on the system and creates a whole lot of heat. Running in dual-channel actually uses two memory controllers while single-channel only uses one. This creates more heat just in and of itself, but with the motherboard not officially supporting a 400FSB and the possibility of an existing cooling issue, that might be why you can't run dual-channel with any stability. Try this for a quick test: Open up the computer case, take a normal box fan (20 inch or bigger) and use that to cool your computer. Point it right at the motherboard. Then play a game. How many case fans do you have, btw? Also, what're you using to cool your CPU and make sure your GPU fan is running. [b][color=blue]welzer:[/b][/color] msandford said he didn't get Memtest errors, btw. Please stick to [url=http://houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24884]this thread[/url] for your issues so that we can keep it all in one place rather than answer the same question multiple times. PLUR CK

My computer can now run perfectly stable. However, when I run memtest, I get 6 errors at the end of test #5. All the other tests are fine. It is only during the very last seconds of test #5 that 6 errors appear. I read somewhere that this is sometimes not a memory problem and can be caused by USB legacy being enabled or something? Anyone know anything about this? I can't see that my memory does have any problems because the computer is perfectly stable. Thanks for the help.

Archived