Corsair Community

M3A-MVP question?

javahollic

Hi,

I got the M3AMVP-Deluxe board a year ago (its AM2+ so can run upto 1066 with a Phenom proc), but had it initially with an Athlon 6400 X2 and 2x2GB DDR2 6400 that have worked fine.

In the past I tried adding another 2x2GB to get 8GB, but ran into all manner of memory problems, even after upping voltage etc. On that occasion I put the problems down to the _slight_ difference in spec. So I RMA'd that additional 6400 2x2 and carried on with only 4GB.

I've now updated the CPU to a Phenom II 940, and taken the opportunity to get 2kits of 2x2GB 8500 (ruling out incompatible kits) to try and achieve 8GB. I have set the BIOS to 1066 but am have deja-vu with general memory corruption.

I have run Memtest86 v2.11 from my Ubuntu install to check the memory, each 2x2 8500 kits fails with errors when tested in isolation. My 6400kit is fine.

I tried running the 2x2 8500 kits at 2.1V, it seems from Corsairs testing on this board, for the 8500 I need 2.2V.

I have just found that 1066 is only supported on one channel, so I'll have to RMA both kits anyway, BUT I'm not confident in that If I can't get ONE of the 8500 kits to work!

What hoops are recommended to just get the 8500 kits working? Am I fated to be locked in to 4GB forever, gah!

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived