Corsair Community

Geforce 250 GTS able to run on HX520?

Callist0

Hello,

I have recently bought an Nvidia Geforce 250 GTS graphics card and installed it in my system which has an HX520 PSU (full system specs in my profile). The box specifies that a 630+W PSU is recommended, but that the card should run on a 450+W PSU with at least 24A on the +12V rail.

Now I checked and the HX520 does have that amperage on the +12V rails, however my system has been experiencing random lockups ever since installing the graphics card. These lockups occur at random intervals (sometimes taking minutes, sometimes hours before occuring) when the system is stressed (playing games), causing the whole system to lock, with nothing to do but hit the reset button.

I have already verified that it is not a driver issue (as far as I've been able to tell) nor a heating issue (the card runs between 60 and 70 degrees Celcius under stress) so what remains is my PSU.

I went in and redid my wiring to make sure it wasn't some connector that was dislodged upon installing. The real question that remains is; is this PSU capable of running this graphics card, or should I consider upgrading as the box suggests?

Well, that at least gives me a little peace of mind, knowing I probably won't have to blow another 100-or-so euros on another PSU while this one is still perfectly okay.

Still makes me wonder what is causing the lockups. I'll have to look into it some more...

Thanks for the swift reply, I hadn't noticed the handy lookup tool :)

Since I got this system I started with a geforce 8800 GT, which fried shortly after installation (for some unknown reason). It was replaced by a geforce 9600 GT until I got the 250 GTS. The previous one (9600) ran on the same drivers this one did (185.85, and later 185.50 to ensure the locking up was not driver related).

While the 9600 didn't give me any issues, even under the supposedly buggy 185.85 driver, after installing the 250 it started locking up for some reason.

Alrght, I decided to test for a few days with some other games to see if the error would occur. It did today. I removed the old driver and ran Driver Sweeper to remove any remnants in safe mode. Currently running 186.16 drivers. Here's to hoping that solved the problem...

A seperate and maybe related question; When running OCCT to check on my voltages, I noticed that the voltage on the 12V rail was at 10,38. Is this normal?

Archived