Corsair Community

750TX & Vid card fried

kid68mcse

Last month my old AMD 64 system died. Lights flashed, the fans started & stopped but it would not POST. I tried everything to troubleshoot the problem (unplugged everything, different vid card, just 1 stick mem, different PSU). I finally decided that the MB & CPU were old and it was time for an upgrade.

I just installed a new AM3 processor, motherboard and memory, and reused the 750TX PSU and XFX 8800 GTS vid card. When I first powered on the system, nothing happened. No fans, no lights, no beeps. I checked the connections and switched the PSU off & on and tried again. This time lights flashed, the fans started & stopped and a curl of smoke came off my video card. Additional attempts to start just flash the lights & fans. I removed the video card and tried to power on and the system seems to start fine, but I don't have on-board video or another video card to verify it is actually working.

Would a bad PSU cause these issues? Would it blow a component on the video card? I'm worried that if I just try a new card it will get fried, too. Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
You can check voltage on the PSU by using a volt-meter. If the voltage are within 5%, then this PSU is safe to use. From your description, it sounds like there is a short somewhere on the system.

Archived